Trend Airshield?

Being an asthmatic and having very limited space for extraction/filtering equipment (although I do have a basic vac powered system) I have been considering splashing out for an Airshield, but ...

o Do they work? o Are they worth the money? o Are there any other alternarives? Better? Cheaper or with cheaper filters?

I am concerned mainly about cutting, routing and sanding soft & hard woods & esp. /MDF/.

TIA,

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

DIY? Lots of info here.

Aidan

Thanks ...

The Airshield (full face mask) idea was to filter out the the stuff that does not get collected (and later trapped) through dust ports etc and also for portable working.

Currently I have an Earlex vac and "triton dust bucket" with filter, not a proper cyclone, but the issue is what is not getting collected, not what is.

I have tried various masks from say £3 to £15 range and none really fit my (apparently non standard) face, hence the Airshield idea.

Cheers,

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

I tried one out some while ago and found that it was heavy for long term use - i.e. you wouldn't want to wear it all day. It would probably be OK for 30 mins to an hour at a time.

Bill Pentz's site is good, as Aidan says.

Another thing that you could do is to make a downdraught table either with a reasonable extractor with at least 100mm hose, or with a large fan and filter. There are numerous plans around for these.

Reply to
Andy Hall

An air helmet is a very good thing, but I don't know about this particular one.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Thanks for the info...

An hour at a time should be OK ... I guess if you use one often enough the neck muscles would get used to it.

I'll bear the cyclone and downdraft table in mind for when I get a space (& time thinking about it) upgrade!

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

Cheers, any other brands in mind?

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

There's the Powercap (Rutlands has these). I tried one of these for a short time and it was really uncomfortable because all the weight is at the front.

There are alternatives that can be run from an airline via a special filter at about the same price point. Have a look at

for details of some.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I have one: after suffering through attempts at wearing dust-masks and safety-specs cum goggles. IMHO - as a spectacles-wearer - all other systems caused my glasses to mist up and my overheating due to dust filters causing me to use rebreathe warmed air. The airshield eliminates all of thos problems. The device draws in and filters air which blows own across the face. One doesn't overheat -at all- and seem able to work for extended periods with much less fatigue. I can wear normal spectacles which don't mist up. I don't know whether it's a peculiar design fault of me -but I find that sweat running into my eyes cuases my eyes to bring floods of tears and I have to halt working until I've wiped my eyes... no such problem with the Airshield . No sweat, no tears. I've used it for woodwork and sinking chases in brick work with SDS drill.

Are they worth the money ... ? the _utility_ of mine is invaluable [IMHO] are there other altenatives ...? Triton have bought out a product aimed at the same market ... but as it came out after I'd purchased my Trend model I've not studied it.

Would I bw without mine ... ? No way.Jose!

I wouldn't like to wear one all day - but IMHO one doesn't work continuosly in that mode -there's always a setting up, measuring, mode before switching ON dust producing machinery ... and if you're feeling that the mask is getting heavy ... that's Nature's way of telling you to have a tea-break.

The bag /protector is useless , IMHO. When mine is not in use, it 'lives' in a TuffteeCrate(sp?) all by itself - filters, chargers, battery cleaning clothes.

HTH

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

A PITA if you wear glasses as well I find - you can guarentee that sweat will fall from your brow onto the inside of your specs.

The best solution I have found is a tennis player style headband. It works well at controling leakage and also fits under most saftey gear.

Reply to
John Rumm

Do you need a completely oil free air supply for these?

Reply to
John Rumm

You use either a wall mounted or belt mounted filter/regulator with carbon filter. Obviously you don't want to feed it with air that has gone through an additional lubricator.

Some of the masks come complete with FRU.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I also have the same problem. On occasion, I have solved it rather differently.

Simply take a 10m bit of hosepipe. Site input of hosepipe in a clean place. Put a sock over the end. (clean) (spiders are bad). Insert other end into bit of 10mm copper tube bent round head, to form secure anchor. Add bit of silicone pipe at the end, and insert into mouth. Breath in through nose, out through mouth. Combined with a belt-clip to keep the hose in place, works for me.

You can upgrade this by using a blower at the other end.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Surely the point about the Airsheild - and it's cousins- is the portability of the device. One can wear it anywhere; in the graden, in the garage, workshop, in the attic; wherever he work is to be accomplished. AIUI, you're advocating a fixed - workstation- specific solution?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

It depends on the application and location.

My point about the Trend one is that it is quite heavy with the weight over the front of the head. As I mentioned, for me it was uncomfortable after a while, starting to cause neck ache. Others mileage may vary.

There are others with a fan and battery pack on a belt such as the Triton which also has an ear defender

tend to do sanding and cutting operations in or close to the workshop, and have compressed air available so thought along those lines, hence suggesting air fed products as alternatives.

The other advantage is that they are also useful for many types of chemical vapour applications, which the more portable products are not.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'll parse that as 'Yes'; you are advocating a workstation/location specific solution1 :)

Actually, experience indicate that the weight isn't a problem; it's very well balanced and IME the tendency is to wip it on and off the head during set up and measuring times. A Neck ache is simply Natures way of telling you to have a tea-break - this is D-I-Y, not a HSE employee-ergonomic eight-hour shift workstation set up [BTW, the Airsheild comes with an impresive set of documentation, log sheets and maintenance record paperwork along with a air-flow GO/NO Go guage for use in an employee situation].

I'd already acquired the Airshield prior to the debut of the Oz variant so hadn't studied it nor could I pass any comments. I acquired the Airshield when I re-modelled the Kitchen, I used it when sinking a phenomenal number of twin-gang electical outlets into the brick walls and machineing the raw sawn maple into cabinets . I drilled, chiselled, chased, sawed, planed, sanded, jigsawed and routed using every tool that I'd got. The airshield kept me cool, dust free and able to wear my glasses ... and more importantly enabled me to continue working for longer periods without pause - and even more importantly without consideration as to 'where' I was. I've since worn it in the roof space while the VELUX lights were installed. Having worn it, I wouldn't be without it ... it's a 'lot of money' ... but I don't mind looking like 'Dan Dare' ... if I could only dfind my old 'Eagle' badge ... : )

Regretably my sanding and cutting operations tend to occur on the lawn or patio ... and in the loft ... under the stairs ... wherever ... :0

Sounds like a strawman arguement ... nobody mentioned such usage ...

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Thanks for the detailed info Brian.

Alex.