Tree stump grinding;

Looking at hire or paying for removal

will have several stumps to grind most are in rear garden with only 2ft 9in access

the first is a conifer stump 40cm diameter approx

about 150mm above groung at present

what is the approx rate of material removal per hour with a hired grinder?

regards

Reply to
TMC

Sharp mattock and a rugby player. It'll cost some beer.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Take your time and do it with a chisel as I have been doing. See

and the next two shots. I think it was here I saw the idea a few days ago, it works quite well.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

"TMC" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

As an aternative cut some slots into the top with a chainsaw and leave for a year to rot ... that's what I've done with mine, and its worked. A lot less faffing about than grinding.

Of course if they want the stump out now, they want it out now ... but they do rot quickly.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

drill holes, and fit bangers.

light blue touch paper....

Actually I burnt enough of a stump out by lighting fires on it and digging away at the chaacoal..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Depends how many sharp teeth on it. Here's one I did earlier

worry about the 2'9" gap this machine makes its own.

The little Dosko pedestrian controlled one costs about GBP250/day and will take your stumps down to 250mm below ground in that less than that time.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Possibly quite a lot of beer ...

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

I take it you don't have flints in the New Forest:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Plenty of pebbles in Windsor Great Park, I didn't realise I was being filmed and you will note I started slewing to have a crack at right angles but realised someone was in line of fire, that machine could fling a shopping trolley 50 metres and you'd burn your hands picking it out of the mulchings.

The big machine doesn't mind flints, I had to clear a borehole site for anglian water and the chalky brash was covered with flints the size of my hand, afterwards it looked like slivers of glass strewn over the site.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

GeoffC

Reply to
fred

Missed earlier posts in the thread.

I hired a stump grinder from a local hire shop. Had to have it delivered and collected. Seem to recall it was fairly narrow.

I had 2 old conifer stumps about 60cm across each and probably about

100mm high. Blade was pretty blunt so make sure you check you get a sharp one. Didn't take very long. Perhaps 2 or 3 hours but ear defenders and vibration absorbing gloves would be good ideas.
Reply to
Invisible Man