Tree sap removal?

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread
My daughters car roof has got tree sap all over it and it's proving a bugger
to remove.
Does anyone have any tips?

Neil

Re: Tree sap removal?

Wait for it
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
http://www.wd40.com/automotive/

Re: Tree sap removal?
its just white spirit with a tiny bit of oil.

NT

Re: Tree sap removal?
Aye, but does it do the job or not?
Me I quite like it or it's derivatives

Re: Tree sap removal?

It is indeed useful for many things, none of which lubrication.
In fact, it saved my life once, when I dropped wax polish on the carpet.
WD40 cleaned it of without a trace (and without SWMBO ever knowing).

Re: Tree sap removal?
What no angle grinder involved?

 Brian

Re: Tree sap removal?

You know, I thought of WD40, but I thought that would be too good to be
true!

Re: Tree sap removal?
some solvents work for this, but get it off - its likely not sap but
something some trees (limes are the worst IIRC)  exude and it can attack
the finish.

try white spirit - that shouldn't attack the paint. Then washing up
liquid. Or mix the two into a sort of swarfega and use them together.

Re: Tree sap removal?
Yes, saw down the tree.
 Actually it depends on the tree for removal. Lymes are a real pain to get
off of anything. Its some kind of resin.
 Brian

Re: Tree sap removal?
Are you *sure* it is sap? What comes off Lime trees is a strong solution
of sugar in water. I think it may be produced by insect activity. At any
rate, it just washes off with water.

Re: Tree sap removal?
It's greenfly poo. (there's too much sugar for them to cope with, given
the limited amounts of protein in the sap)

The problem comes when it goes mouldy.

Andy

Re: Tree sap removal?

I used to use isopropyl alcohol to remove pine resin various tools and skin.

It works on pine, not sure what else.

Rick... (The other Rick)

Re: Tree sap removal?
My secateurs were black after cutting back a privet. Tried white spirit
and meths but neither looked like shifting it. Scraped it off with a
stanley blade in the end

Re: Tree sap removal?
If it is a lime tree the chances are it is not sap, but the nasty
insects that live there, though probably as easy to get rid of. I doubt
that you will be able to remove the tree, as it will almost certainly
have a preservation order on it. which in effect means that though it is
your tree the council own it, though you must maintain it.

Re: Tree sap removal?

See here for more details

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilia

Threaded View