Tree hugging gone mad

The message from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

I can't answer for your lack of balance but the amount of lift you would get from standing Knee-deep* in water with a specific gravity of 1.166 shouldn't destabilise a normal person and in no way could it approach starting to float.

*Approximately one thirteenth of total body volume below water level.
Reply to
Roger

The message from Andy Dingley contains these words:

Collins English Dictionary is a proper dictionary. (Websters IIRC is a Merkin product).

FWIW The Concise Oxford, sixth edition has much the same information as Collins. The 9th edition has the additional information that the plural 'candelabrums is US usage.

Reply to
Roger

Tell me one word in eEglish that is not derived from tea foreign one Mary..given that when the spoken language s invented, Britain was uninhabited..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You were the one who referred to a numpty - sauce for gander, sauce for goose :-)

It's not a holiday and I don't have a hubby.

It you mean my husband, well, we're still happy after almost fifty years. He doesn't want to be without me nor I without him. Not many can say the same.

No names, no pack drill ...

Byeeeeeeeeee ..................

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Dredging up the remains of my toxicology degree.....

Metallic mercury is actually quite poorly absorbed from the gut but Hg vapour is readily absorbed through the lungs and is oxidised to Hg2+ in the red blood cells. Hg is readily transported to other tissues such as the CNS.

Inorganic Hg compounds are poorly absorbed by the gut (7% in humans) and tend to accumulate in the kidney.

Organic Hg compounds are readily absorbed by the gut (90%+) and tends to accumulate in the posterior cortex.

All forms of Hg will cross membranes such as the blood brain barrier and into the foetus although organic and elemental Hg show the greatest foetal uptake which can result in concentrations much higher in the baby than the mother.

Hg is far more toxic than Pb. For example the average blood level of Pb in non-occupationally exposed adults in the USA is 0.3 micrograms per ml. Whereas levels of Hg this high would lead to about 75% of patients to exhibit gross central nervous system effects (paresthesia).

Cheers

Mark

Reply to
Mark Spice

I'm sure it makes sense to you but none to me.

Ah right. Didn't realise you lived in sin.

I wonder what he would say if he was allowed to speak?

Strange 'word' to use given your previous comments. Singular or plural?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That could be dangerous to a lot of Usenet posters.

Reply to
Andy Dingley