Tree felling problem/query

One doesn't actually form a hinge when dropping a tree. The notch is cut in one side which pre-disposes the tree to fall in that direction. When one has cut sufficiently through from the other side. the hinge is formed by the tree falling towards the space vacated by the wedge.

Removing a section of the first trunk will have a similar effect when cutting the remaining trunks. The weakness caused by the section removed will cause the cluster to fall to that side, thus forming the hinge. Everything of course is dependant on the actual circumstances. Without pictures it is well nigh impossible to give proper assistance

If you have no experience of doing this then perhaps you should start with something easier. What you wish to do really is not that complicated in the right hands.

Reading through this thread I really think you would be advised to get a third party to deal with it. The trees probably have to be taken down in sections, which is always recommended anyway.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Hi Chris

Could you get the blade of a reciprocating saw in? The green woodcutting blades are about 12" long so if you came in from each side it might work?

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Hmmm, the hinge is formed by the bit you don't cut right through.

On closer inspection I decided that very low down the trunks were actually merged into one trunk so I went for conventional felling on that basis.

I have started with easier trees, this is about the tenth (or more) big Leylandii we have felled.

As I said above I felled it as a single trunk in the end. I cut the notch (not perfectly looking at the trunk afterwards) and then the felling cut until there was a bit more wood left than I would normally leave. I then retreated to a safe distance and got my assistant (wife) to pull a little bit harder on the guiding rope with the tractor. Result - perfection! The tree dropped just about exactly where we intended it to, it had to be pretty accurate to miss trees we want to preserve on either side. The bottom of the trunk remained resting on the stump after felling.

Leylandii would be difficult to drop in sections, the limbs often fall vertically when you cut them which is OK for smallish bits at the bottom but would be difficult if you're up the tree.

By the way I measured the tree after felling, the trunk was 18" in diameter where I cut it and the tree was just over 50ft high. We have one other just about as big to fell and lots of smaller ones too.

Reply to
usenet

In article , snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk says... snip

most things do fall vertically, gravity you know ;-)

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

True, but you know what I mean! :-)

Reply to
usenet

Following on from the tractor pull idea, I have had surprising success with a long rope tied to the highest but strong part of tree for maximum leverage and a Volvo estate and tow bar. Of course you do need space to pull in the right direction. Start with some gentle tugs and dig up the ground on the opposite side of pull to expose roots. When root is pulled up near the surface chop with axe. Proceed as each root is exposed. No chain saw needed !!!

Reply to
David