Tredair Type Underlay or Wool

Hi all

Finally finishing off a dining room re-furb and have ordered carpet (at least SWMBO has). She came back saying that Tredair is no longer available - ISTR that this was one of the best options in the distant past. She has been offered a woven wool type, which we had in the back room last year and aren't all that impressed. The alternative is what she described as a foamy type conglomerate, still not as thick as Tredair but somewhat similar, but £10+/sq metre IIRC.

Has anyone come across this conglomerate alternative and know of its durability, comfort etc? Unfortunately SWMBO didn't get a trade name for this. We liked the Tredair because it gave a springy feel and lasted well.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Cloud 9?

We had this fitted a couple of years ago and are very pleased with it.

I use a crumb rubber and felt one from

better than the foam underlays - makes a cheap carpet feel really expensive. Cheaper buying from the factory than from the carpet shop too.

auctions

Phil You want interfloor underlay which is 1st class. Much of it is made in the same factory as makes Hunter wellies and Gates transmission belts (although now operating as 3 seperate companies). Hope this helps. Calum Sabey (NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)

Reply to
calums

Interesting. I had a carpet supplier say the same thing - can't get Tredaire any more! Well, surprise surprise, just go to

It was bought out by Interfloor a while back, but still available. As it happens, the supplier came up with another sponge rubber underlay, which was thick and dense, and better in my opinion than the old green Tredaire I always used to use (and my father helped manufacture). Weight is at least one useful parameter to ascertain the quality of what you will be getting - the stuff I have just put down in my lounge is very heavy.

Paul R

Reply to
Paul R

Same here, I've never been impressed by crumb rubber or tredaire stuff even when new. Once it's been down a while it just falls apart and a 1/4" thick layer of rubber dust makes for a lot of clearing up when you lift the carpet for what ever reason.

Now I don't know the stabilty of the polyurethane foam conglomerate stuff such as Cloud 9 but at least it's sealed between two layers of thin plastic. It also feels better under foot when new and is available in several thickness's. You chose the thickness with relation to the use of the room, thick for the bedroom, thiner for romms taking more traffic or punishment.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have just replaced some Duralay crumb rubber underlay on my stairs, its been there for probably >10 years and showed very little wear except for a moderate amount of the bullnose of the treads. Certainly, its mechanical properties were still good, so I'd not dismiss Duralay crumb rubber as an inexpensive, hardwearing crumb rubber underlay. I only replaced it as the fitter who laid it had used scrappy offcuts that offended my sense of perfection!

Andy.

Reply to
Andy