Treating one side of a fence

Hi, I just saw this on the Motley Fool website:

comments? I also have a fence which has been up for about five years. I could treat one side of - should I bother, and any thoughts on either of those products?

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Thanks for the link, Martin. That discussion includes a link to Wickes' "traditional spirit-based shed and fence preserver". Is this the nearest available equivalent now to proper creosote?

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

But you can still get real creosote.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

FSVO you, or who you know.

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's only "banned" for domestic use. Purchase (in 20 or 25 litre drums) for your "smallholding" is straightforward.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

You must be able to get it, as its smell gives it away as I noted over the weekend. The other stuff is either smell less or pongs of something like acetone or somesuch, no idea what the solvent might be.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

So what do they think home users are going to do with it that others are not?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , Brian Gaff writes

Not bother reading the *do nots* on the label?

I have an idea it is only supposed to be sold to *professional* users supposedly trained in elfin safety.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Given the way the farmers round here handle agricultural chemicals, I suspect that the ban on domestic use of creosote is wildly misdirected.

Reply to
Huge

You mean they scatter it across your garden in gale force winds?

Crop spraying is highly regulated but laxly enforced.

There are significant penalties available to DEFRA through *fines* or deductions from Single Farm Payments without recourse to legal action.

Equipment used for edible crops must be independently inspected annually for those producers in *assurance* schemes (most) and the National Register for Sprayer Operators covers training and licensing of users.

There is a raft of rules on chemical stores.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Actually, no. But they leave empty concentrate containers scattered across the farmyard and appear never to have heard of protective clothing.

I imagine these are being breached.

Reply to
Huge

There are also substitutes out there like "creocote" that look and smell similar (although quite possibly don't work as well!)

Reply to
John Rumm

They are supposed to be triple rinsed. Clothing? Um.. may not be required if the tractor cab can be sealed and appropriate filters are fitted to the air intake. Nitrile gloves are recommended for handling concentrate.

Not when the inspector is coming:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb