Treating 4 woodworm b4 sealing ceiling?

Before i screw plasterboard to the kitchen ceiling i want to treat the rafters/joists for woodworm etc as there has been dampness over the decades - should i spray it or paint it on, what chemicals should i buy? Wherefrom? How? I have the whole house to do, but room by room as I'm living in it.

How dangerous is it?

[g]
Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

Do you really have woodworm in all the woodwork in the whole house? The house must be quite a state.

Its insecticide, and its not normally used in such high dosage as the entire house. Google organophosphate.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Dear George Why? If you were a professional rather than an amateur you would be obliged to do a COSHH Assessment and absent any evidence of activity it is difficult to justify treatment and treatment has to be done with the least "strong" pesticide that will do the job - generally the one with highest LD 50

so? that may preclude for decay but if it is decades then it will have decayed! and what is dampness? for decay you are in need of 20%

IF you need to use an insecticide you can apply it by the easiest method to suit to cover the area concerned

That depends on what you need to treat it for, the area concerned, the LD50 , the etimylogical data, the nature of the occupants with respect to allergy and sensitivity (babies etc) and a 101 other things the most important question being do I need to treat at all?

see above

If you do not have the skill to answer this you do not have the skill to do an assessment and should not really be trying to treat at all until you have read up about it

Why? what evidence is there? Where are the four woodworm holes? How do you know it is wood worm not pin hole shot hole powder posts bark borer or any one of many other wood boring insects that may not need treating or indeed CFB that is dead - as most is in older buildings

What the wood worm or the chemical? If the chemical - none is categorised as toxic and there are no deaths recorded in recent decades by its use Most of the really hazardous chemical ingredients such as PCP TBTO etc have been withdrawn from use

Why do you not simply monitor it by covering with tissue paper and seeing if any holes appear by next September? Chris G

Reply to
mail

most rooms have somewhere which was damp sometime and got woodworm... much of the lathe and plaster wood is peppered with holes, I'm ripping that out.

I've been buying Cuprinol 5star and slapping it on with a brush,

wrote

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)