Trapped Wind

Following replacing my Kitchen Taps, we now have a problem of howlin

pipes. It only occurs when using the shower for more than about minutes, hence it only really starts when my wife has a shower. All th cold water taps in the house vibrate and by turning one on i temporarily relieves the noise until you turn it off again.

I'm thinking this may be trapped air or maybe scale in the cold wate system, how can I get rid of this noise? Can anybody help? Thanks

-- fragpig

Reply to
fragpig

It sounds like there is a water hammer/resonance problem from the float valve on the loft cistern. Since it worked OK before then I suspect that there is air trapped in a dead (or otherwise ununsed) branch of the incoming water main.

There are no hard and fast rules for getting rid of these noises.

Any one or more of the following may do the trick - also the best strategy will depend on the frequency of the noise.

1) Get all the air out of the mains. 2) Re washer the float valve. 3) Water hammer arrestor. Low frequency 4) Change the float valve in the loft. 5) Pressure reducing valve on mains (if currently over 3 bar). 6) Half close the stop c*ck. 7) Better clipping and support of mains pipes. Low Frequency.
Reply to
Ed Sirett

thanks very much I shall try all of those, the easiest first! Thank

again

-- fragpig

Reply to
fragpig