Trailer advice please!

Hi all After my last run to the local tip with a carload of garden waste (during which brief drive one of my binbags sprung a leak and disgorged a couple of pints of foul smelling liquid) I made the decision to buy myself a trailer.

Recommendations please?!

I need something small-medium size, primarily to transport the above-mentioned garden product to the tip, together with bags-full of builders rubble etc etc; and also to bring back mucky and/or awkward stuff from the builder's merchants, sheds etc. The tip's only about a mile away, so I can afford to sacrifice massive trailer size in favour of making two trips rather than one; also I gather that the smaller the trailer, the less likely it is to attract the attention of the tip supervisors.

I really like the idea of one which stands up on end for storage in the garage (like those Erde jobs you see in B&Q or Halfords?); removable high side panels sound to me like a good plan; likewise one of those bars jobs on the front to enable long stuff to be tied, on projecting up and over the towing car.

What do I need to know about towbars; as the first step will be to get one fitted to the car?

Thanks for any advice! David

Reply to
Lobster

I went thru this earlier this year, but after fitting the towbar I declined to buy a trailer "until I really needed one". So far I haven't had that need.

I bought my Freelander towbar from a guy who sells all sorts of vehicle towbars on ebay. His web site can be found at:

guy is really helpful before and after purchase, and I believe knows what he is about. He supplies the full kit of parts with complete instructions, and is on the end of the phone if you need any questions answered. Top guy.

I couldn't find towbars anywhere near as cheap as he offers, and they are properly specced etc. Highly recommended by me.

Though I'd been driving for 30 years I also booked myself on a 2.5hr towing course with DriveCraft:

place on an airfield at Daventry. Well worth it IMHO because you get to learn how to reverse etc. If you passed your test since 1997 then you can't tow without getting this training (I believe).

PoP

PoP

I was in the same boat as you, looked around at various trailers. Personally, the ones you get in Halfords etc. looked to me flimsy at best and steered clear of them. I don't know what part of the country you are in but I found a small firm in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent who make trailers. Very sturdy and professionally built. 10" mini wheels, 10cwt suspension units. The bloke who runs it basically said you can pretty much have your own specification if you have some ideas. Whilst I was there he showed me a number of custom built trailers he was building.

Any road up, it cost me ~£200 for a 5x3ft and its a damned site better than the tin ones you get in the high street !

Reply to
Tim Jenkins

If fitting to a recent model car, the towbar needs to be Type Approved.

Not so, only required for over 3.5 tonne GTW or trailer heavier than towing vehicle.

Reply to
Niall

I was looking at trailers, but i decided to hire instead. My local trailer hire outfit do a 6*4 trailer for 7 quid a day, much better than buying IMHO.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Barnes

In message , Niall writes

How recent is 'recent' ?

Reply to
chris French

Thanks Tim - actually that sounds a real possibility: I'm only about

20 miles from Hanley as it happens: could you provide details of the firm?

Cheers David

Reply to
Lobster

Check out eBay, there are loads of small trailers jist for this job.

Small trailers are weight limited, its 0.x times the size of the car. Braked trailors go to bigger weights. Small trailers are harder to reverse. Jocky Wheels save your back, and are worth every penny IMHO.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Agreed. The towbars supplied by the chap I referred to are type approved, and stamped accordingly. Paperwork is supplied that stays with the vehicle (glove box or whatever in case you go abroad).

I stand corrected. I passed my test 30 years ago so don't need the extra red tape this measure introduced.

Still a good idea to get some experience of towing off-road though. In my humblest of opinions of course ;)

PoP

PoP

David,

Hanford Trailer Spares

152 Stone Road Hanford Stoke-On-Trent

01782 658594

Pop down and have a look at their workshop and have a chat with the guy - very friendly.

Cheers, Tim.

Reply to
Tim Jenkins

Kewl. Infinite sized trailers, then ...

Reply to
Huge

I use a Daxara 147 from Indespension - which is virtually identical (same maker) to one of the larger Erde trailers which Halfords sell - except that it came with shock absorbers as standard. It's not the cheapest - but it's good and strong - particularly if you want to carry things like building rubble in it. It does everything you mention - including lashing bars for ropes, and (optional) extended sides, and it can be stored on end.

The rule at our local tip seems to be that unbraked trailers are ok - but if it is heavy enough to need its own brakes, then it's no longer domestic!

Small - short wheelbase - trailers are a pig to reverse - far harder than a caravan, because they jack-knife so easily and you can't always see them out of the rear of the car! However, if all else fails, you can unhook them and manoeuvre them by hand.

If your car was first registered after July 1998, you will need an EU approved towing bracket. I tend to use Towsure brackets - which are cheaper than the likes of Witter or Brinks - but still perfectly adequate. You will also need a 12N 7-pin socket all wired up for the trailer lighting.

Reply to
Set Square

i`ll have a 50 tonner.

Reply to
John Woodhall

If your car is a VW I suggest considering VWs electrics, because of the way they interconnect with the rest of the cars electrics.

(This may also apply to other brands - I just have no experience)

Michael Chare

Reply to
Michael Chare

Some modern cars appear to no longer have direct support for towbar electrics, with the good old days of scotchbloc connectors onto existing wiring no longer possible (something to do with bulb failure monitoring?). IIRC, the Vectra (amongst others) falls into this category, requiring additional power wiring from the battery. My own Focus needs an uprated hazard warning switch (!) but is otherwise ok.

On the other hand, some modern cars include a connector behind the boot lining, all ready for connection of trailer electrics.

I don't know how common it is, but the Focus has mounting points for the towbar pre drilled, so in that respect it is actually easier than some old cars.

Any good towbar supplier / fitter should be able to advise you, or (if your car is one that is commonly used as a towcar) a search tyhrough google groups may turn up more info.

HTH,

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

*All* post July-1998 cars which are capable of towing have towbar attachment points built in. You must only use a EU-approved towbar and this must only be attached to the points provided by the car manufacturer for that purpose.
Reply to
Set Square

While realizing that you are discussing what we would call a 'utility' trailer (i.e. for carrying d-i-y 'stuff' such as trash/waste, bricks lumber etc) respectfully suggest that the < uk.rec.caravanning > group might be a good/helpful/knowledgeable source of information regarding the towbar, whether it has be an 'approved' design etc. Also perhaps about the wiring attachment; which will be a good deal simpler than that required for a caravan but might be worth while to do an a 'standard manner' using one of the normal configurations? All the best for 2004. Terry.

Reply to
Terry

Can't remember, I only drive commercial vehicles which are exempt. Pop into your local Indespension dealer and buy a copy of their "Trailer Manual", while not the bible it used to be in earlier editions, it is still an excellent source of towing info.

Reply to
Niall

First registered on or after 1/8/98.

Reply to
Set Square

Hello Set

An "ish" good idea. Maybe. Although towbar failures weren't even mentioned in any accident statistics I've seen, I guess we've got to keep the paper shufflers in business.

What really IS annoying is the requirement now to provide proof of registration (V5 - not even having the car with you at the time is enough) when getting a trailer number plate made up. Apparently to prevent fraud, and it would seem that sticking plastic letters onto a shiny yellow plate in a random fashion is /completely/ beyond professional car thieves and will stop car theft in a single stroke so is well worth inconveniencing thousands of honest people.

Reply to
Simon Avery