Trades people on the fiddle

I assume you've never heard of the Laffer Curve, either.

What's that got to do with the truth (or otherwise) of:

"if you make the tax rate low enough no-one will fiddle it"

The Laffer curve's all about motivation to work harder and earn more (and thus pay more tax overall), not avoiding fiddling

tim

Reply to
tim.....

They could, but the data is valuable and lives in their data mining collection forever and ever.

Reply to
dennis

So that'll be "No, I haven't heard of the Laffer curve", then.

Reply to
Huge

En el artículo , Man at B&Q escribió:

No, because I don't avoid tax by using highly artificial offshore tax schemes designed to exploit loopholes in the tax laws. They may comply with the letter of the law, but certainly not the spirit.

Are you saying you have no problem with what Carr did with the K2 tax avoidance scheme?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Steve Firth escribió:

We used to have a cheese and wine* evening once a week at work, until the taxman threatened to tax it as a perk.

  • one bottle of red, one of white, and three or four different cheeses.
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Nemo escribió:

Fact. Tesco featured recently in Private Eye for using artificial offshore schemes to avoid paying tax.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I'm sorry, but you're an idiot.

Reply to
Huge

Good luck enforcing the spirit of the law.

I certainly don't. Good luck to him.

Reply to
Huge

Attending a work's cheese and wine party is more painful than paying taxes.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

A 'wine and middle aged spread' party.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As a long-time subscriber to Private Eye I'm amazed at how long it takes for their investigations and revelations to appear in the rest of the print media or on TV (Panorama? Dispatches? Newsnight?). I know they sail close to the wind at times, but it's quite a while since Hislop was in Court and having to pay out.

No one cares.

A friend of mine got pretty damning evidence that one of the 'support science and technology' quangos was giving money to the companies of people who comprised its trustees, and to companies that were totally fraudulent. Private Eye wrote an expose. NOTHING happened.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think there is so much of it now that people equate "doing something" with pissing into the wind.

And 1/2 or more of the population are ill informed and don't care about anything...

Reply to
Tim Watts

For some reason that reminded me of a largish gathering I noticed outside of the Grand United Lodge off Drury Lane this lunchtime. Can't think why...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I expect a seat on a board of some well-known mobile telecom company is being kept warm right now.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It's the Inner Redneck, he can't help it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I have a subscription to the Eye so I keep up with what's really happening in the UK

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I'm convinced that some customers need the "assurance of a good deal" which comes from paying cash with no receipt or buying goods which are probably stolen, and that some businesses just play the game whilst actually keeping 100% within the law.

djornsk

a dozen or so years ago, I obtained a quote for a new driveway from a nationaly advertising company. That was £12,000. Far too much so I ignored it. three weeks alter I had a phone call from someone "following up the quote". They'd to it for £8,000 for cash. I told them I didn;t do business that way.

Reply to
charles

En el artículo , Tony Bryer escribió:

Indeed. I've been a subscriber for 30 years. As another poster said, it can take a surprisingly long time for Eye stories to filter out into the mass media.

The promised exposé of money-laundering in the City in the next issue should be a good read :-)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson