tractors, diggers & dumpers

I am currently working out what machinery to purchase to assist with my building project.
I have never brought a new car, and have no idea how to buy a tractor/digger/dumper, I drive round in a rust bucket 4x4 with a brand new trailer that carries *EVERYTHING*.
I can't get delivery lorries neerer than 1/2 a mile from the project site. Little tippers (trani vans), can get in, but have to reverse out (the drivers NEVER come back a second time. I can't get a JCB down the track, they are much wider than you imagine.
All deliveries will occour at the top of the track. I want to buy my aggrigates in bulk, as I live neer the quarry, a 16 tomnne lorry of sand is a fraction of the cost of 16 tonnes of bags from wickes, which are still cheeper than one tonne bags from the builders merchants.
To get the concreate mixed, I have the choice of a hand mixer, or a lorry again 1/2 a mile away.
The best thing to move the concrete in is a dumper, but they are hard to get into the right places, and need space to turn. The worst thing is that you need to load them with a digger, as you can't manually lift into them, or lift with them. So a dumper sounds a bad idea.
I can hire a self drive mini digger for 500 a week all in (fuel, insurance delivery) etc, so reckon that this is the best way to go for a digger, as I only have a couple of weeks for for it, assuming I don't buy a dumper to move the aggrigates.
The best plan at the moment looks like a tractor, with a bucket on the front. This will lift the stuff off the ground, have reasonable access (not as good a mini digger), and be like a small dumper.
Any better ideas for what equipment I should consider, and any advice on how you go about buying one of these things ?
Anyone ever seen a 3 tonne trailer with hiab crane, you can stick on the back of your 4x4 ?
Thanks Rick

Use a small back hoe loader, such as the JCB 3 range if you have to buy one go to an auction but take someone who knows about such things, I'm amazed at what you say about dumpers, I find them greatly manoeuvrable, you've got to have a bit of practice though... there are mini dumpers as well and also side tippers available
--
David

Sounds like access is your biggest headache, for an easy life a wider track may work out cheaper in the long run. If you can get loads dropped exactly where you want, then so much time is saved. Imagine filling the foundations straight down the chute off the truck. All the builders merchants I have ever used have always delivered by lorries larger than 7.5 tonners. Will you be needing bricks or trusses? Scaffold won't probably come on a transit either.
Either the plant section of Autotrader http://www.autotrader.co.uk/PLANT/plant.jsp or my personal favourite the agricultural auctions such as http://www.ylc.co.uk/ymscat.htm are good for construction machinery. Buy it, use it, sell it. Works out a lot cheaper than hiring. Just got my alloy tower scaffold at YLC, 200 for a tall one with outriggers, wheels, platforms etc. just the job for painting the gable end. Bought a steel diy spec one for 15 for resale.
Lots of 3cx type diggers about for sale, more versatile & better value than the 1.5 tonne Kubotas etc.

May need to consider the power arrangement, unless you mean to put the hiab on the pickup. Certainly seen one on an agricultural trailer, but this of course would be too big for you.
--
Toby.

Rick Dipper wrote:

I hope there is space to offload at the head of the track as 1 mile round trip while the driver waits may get tiresome. Readymix usually give you 30mins to drop the load, so it looks like lots of minimix deliveries down the track or mix it yourself. Old 1 or 2 bag mixers are not expensive.
--
Toby.

building project.

tractor/digger/dumper, I drive round in a rust bucket 4x4 with a brand new trailer that carries

Little tippers (trani vans), can get in, but have to reverse out (the drivers NEVER

wider than you imagine.

aggrigates in bulk, as I live neer the quarry, a 16 tomnne lorry of sand is a fraction of

one tonne bags from the builders merchants.

again 1/2 a mile away.

get into the right places, and need space to turn. The worst thing is that you need to

with them. So a dumper sounds a bad idea.

delivery) etc, so reckon that this is the best way to go for a digger, as I only have

aggrigates.
front. This will lift the stuff off the ground, have reasonable access (not as good a mini

how you go about buying one of these things ?

back of your 4x4 ?

Rick,
You can get a backhoe attachment as per:
http://www.cjindustries.co.uk/it220017.html
Which you could fit an almost anything with a bit of ingenuity. I've seen a few turn up on ebay recently and they gor for 1-2K
Andrew
Tiltbed car transporter trailer hire - 25/ day. Near Derby. May even tow it for you.

This points to an agricultural tractor, not only can you use it for transport but also a small mixer can fit on the pto. McConnel pa6 or pa44 are available secondhand but aren't a patch of a Kubota 101 IMO.

into the right places, and need space to turn. The worst thing is that you need to

Artic steer 4wd dumpers are actually very manoeuverable, better than a tractor trailer combination, reversing a dumper 800m is a doddle in comparison.

Farmers weekly

Yes a local ag dealer http://www.beestore.co.uk/jl/ has one on a plant trailer, it is electro hydraulic, mounted on the rear quarter with a pull-out stabiliser leg.
AJH
Thanks for the ideas Rick
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 18:17:39 +0000, Andrew Heggie < snipped-for-privacy@dtn.invalid wrote:

aggrigates in bulk, as I live neer the quarry, a 16 tomnne lorry of sand is a fraction of

into the right places, and need space to turn. The worst thing is that you need to

tractor/digger/dumper, I drive round in a rust bucket 4x4 with a brand new trailer that carries

Little tippers (trani vans), can get in, but have to reverse out (the drivers NEVER

aggrigates in bulk, as I live neer the quarry, a 16 tomnne lorry of sand is a fraction of

into the right places, and need space to turn. The worst thing is that you need to

delivery) etc, so reckon that this is the best way to go for a digger, as I only have

This will lift the stuff off the ground, have reasonable access (not as good a mini

Rick Have a look on Ebay normally dumpers etc quite cheap, and mini diggers not so cheap. I would get a dumper and a cheap JCB type of thing. 500 a week for a mini digger sounds expensive, Ive managed to find a guy with a full size JCB for 10 an hour all in driver included may be best to ask about, ask at any nearby self build sites! Rob