Toyota Auris, no spare wheel

I recently bought a s-h. Toyota Auris.

When taking delivery, I demanded a lesson on how to change a wheel, or more correctly, where was the spare, jack, lock-nut key etc.

Surprise. No spare. Just an electric pump (which is good and which I've always carried anyway, even in a car with a spare) and a bottle of gunge.

Any comments on the effectiveness of this solution?

The lack of a spare has caused me some worry; but that having been said, and rapidly touching wood, I haven't had to change a wheel in maybe 20 years --- an electric pump or foot pump always being able to temporarily remedy punctures due to nails or thorns. Plus, renewing tyres well before they are beyond the 1.6-mm legal limit.

I'd guess the gunge would be ineffective for a puncture caused by severe kerbing or hitting a large stone? And you wouldn't want to ruin a tyre with it if just a small relatively slow puncture.

I suppose I could buy a spare; there is space for one if the container for the pump and gunge was removed.

Best regards,

Jon C.

Reply to
Jonathan Campbell

Same with my car (7 seater VW Touran)

I let you know when I have a puncture. ;-)

Like you, I've had the odd slow puncture but the pump has always got me to a tyre depot.

I worried at first when I got my car but I rationalised that carrying that amount of weight around all the time just doesn't make sense in this day and age. It's a bit like carrying an umbrella *every* day, just in case it rains. Of course, the inconvenience of a puncture is far greater than just getting wet but I think not having a spare encourages one to keep a closer eye on tyre wear and encourages earlier replacement (which is good for safety if not for the planet).

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

is a spare not a legal requirement any more?

NT

Reply to
NT

NT gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It's as much a legal requirement now as it ever was. It's also just as MOT-testable now as it ever was.

Reply to
Adrian

Not having a spare is no problem as long as (a) you have a can of gunge for "normal" punctures, or (b) you're a member of a breakdown service for those times when the sidewall gets sliced or other big problems. We had a Smart car for 4 years (they don't have a spare) and now I've got a car that's been converted to run on LPG so there's a 70-litre toroidal gas tank sitting in the spare wheel well instead of the spare wheel.

Reply to
Dave Smethurst

The only times I've had to change a wheel due to a puncture it's been because of the severity of the puncture - either a tear in the sidewall or a significant puncture ( such as when the power steering pump fell apart on a Peugeot and I ran over the shaft! ). I wouldn't drive on such tyres even after they'd been filled with foam. Any other puncture I've had has been of the slow variety - fixable at leisure.

If I were that worried about the cost of carrying the weight of a spare around I think I'd rather have one, and opt for never filling the fuel tank over half full.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Not specifically mentioned here (Northern Ireland, which, oddly, has a different MOT regime):

regards,

Jon C.

Reply to
Jonathan Campbell

I don't think it's ever been a legal requirement. It's not now:

understanding is that if you carry a spare it must be legal. ie have enough tread depth etc.

Guy

-- -------------------------------------------------------------------- Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd snipped-for-privacy@crossflight.co.uk

Reply to
Guy Dawson

It's only testable if it's there. Not a fail not having one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, I think I remember there being advice (at least man-in-the-pub advice) to remove bald-tyred spares before an MOT.

Jon C.

Reply to
Jonathan Campbell

Was it ever?

Reply to
Bob Eager

All of this is useless when you hit a pothole and buckle two wheels and split two tyres completely..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Jonathan Campbell gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Don't worry - it's the same with the MOT over here, too.

Adrian

Guy Dawson gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Nope. You can have as many bald old tyres in your boot as you wish.

'course, if ever you have to USE the spare, it's gotta be legal the second it hits the road...

Reply to
Adrian

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Even if you've got a boot full of old bald tyres, it's not testable.

Reply to
Adrian

I would not like a flat tyre on a bank holiday monday in the lakes late at night on the way home. The same applies to run flats as to tube of gunge. Have a flat late at night and you will have a problem driving home if its a long distance. Also run flats are not much cop if the side wall splits.At least with a spare, even a space saver, which are no good for long distances either or speed you can usually continue your journey.

Reply to
john

You could fill the spare with Helium :-)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Spare tyres seem to encourage some people to keep 20% of their tyres illegal.

"Stick the bald one in the boot, it'll do in an emergency" seems a common saying.

The spare on my van is brand new as is the spare spare I keep in the shed (the spare spare is there so that if I get a puncture I can put a working spare back on the van when I get home at night and drop the punctured tyre off somewhere for repair and not waste time waiting)

Adam Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Last flat I had was on a rental van. I picked it up - an hour late because the local scrotes had let the tyres down. Apparently. 50 miles later on the motorway strange noise from the back so I pulled over. Tyre in three parts - tread and two walls. That's an hour from a "professional repair", and well beyond anything you could do with a pump and canister.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

My Honda Accord has the same, might be OK if you pick up a nail and get a slow puncture, but didn't help me a jot when I had a puncture on the M1, where by the time you've pulled gently over to the hard shoulder all you've got left is a smoking shell of a tyre no amount of gunge will help - the car's warranty did include recovery to the nearest garage with a suitable tyre in stock.

Reply to
Andy Burns