Toyota Auris, no spare wheel

There is that. My assumption was that they'd accept an explanation of it having just been changed due to a problem - but then that does raise the question of how anyone would ever get in trouble over it...

Reply to
Jules

I went through this in my head something like 30 years ago when I got my licence. Decided the only problem that could ever exist would be an almost usable spare.

Reply to
Rod

I was forced on to a kerb. The tyre blew up and was shredded, needed a new tyre. 200 miles from home on a Saturday. AA useless. After 4 hours got a local mobile tyre supplier. Absolutely no way would I ever go without at least a space saver again

Reply to
timothy.gale

Do you realise you replied to a post that was nearly 5 years old?

Oh, you posted from Google Groups..... as you were.....

Reply to
Toby

Similar situation. Wife has a 2008 Auris SR180. No spare wheel. Compressor & aerosol of gunge instead. Toyota cannot/will not supply a space saver spare even though there is ample space in the well in the boot. Have not yet been able to find anything compatible. All rather worrying. You might try the Auris forum at Toyota Owners Club. Last time I looked they were pretty much stumped. Apparently the omission of spare wheels by manufacturers is a weight reducing factor. This to massage statistics. My feeling is that this is positively dangerous and should be banned.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Another danger is buying a space saver for those cars where there isn't actually a storage space...I wonder how many people actually fix down this potential 'missile'...

Reply to
Bob Eager

The other good news is that the gunge is only a temporary repair. Most tyre shops won't do a permanent repair and you have to buy a new tyre.

Reply to
harryagain

Strange, my 2010 Auris (face lift 1.6) was supplied with a space saver as standard. No suggestion of pump and gunge.

Chris K

Reply to
ChrisK

Ditto, my 2012 Auris has a space saver, and housing with fix down bolt.

Charles F

Reply to
Charles F

I had this problem when I bought my C-3 Picasso last year. I really didn't fancy the gunk/compresser set-up at all. I tried one of the road wheels for size and found it fitted into the false floor space, with room for the jack and wheel brace etc. I bought a steel rim from Citroen spares and a tyre locally. Total was about £120 against about £65 for a spacesaver, but I thought the difference was worth it. I retained the compresser mainly because I discovered recently that many, if not all, filling stations were charging for air! Regards

Syke

Reply to
Syke

Less dangerous than some twonk changing a tyre on the brow of a hill or just round a bend or even lane 3 of a motorway? That's assuming they have half a clue about how to change a wheel and to do the nuts/bolts up properly...

But I agree a can of gunk and pump are not satisfactory, space savers just about but I'd rather have full sized spare.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Is it safer for them to spend ten minutes there, changing a wheel, or an hour and a half there, waiting for the recovery wagon?

('course, nobody but an utter fucknugget would do any of those anyway - anybody with a quarter of a firing brain cell would limp to a safe place to do either)

Look at the sheer size of the wheels and tyres available on most non- pikey-spec modern stuff.

Reply to
Adrian

Having had a front tyre disintegrate while in lane3, it isn't much fun trying to get over to the hard shoulder in a hurry, is there an approved hand gesture?

Yep, it's nice to have a compressor come "free" with the car for the occasional slow puncture, but the gunge is absolutely useless when you've only got smoking ruins of a tyre left.

I will never buy a car without a spare of some type again, current car has a space saver which I've used a couple of times, and I've bought a cheapo compressor to sling in the boot.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Hazard warning lights and slowing down are usually a good start... and it's a LOT more fun than sitting stationary in L3 waiting for some photocopier salesman with brain in neutral to not notice you.

Reply to
Adrian

The pre-war gesture worked for me. Point to engine, make slit throat gesture.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

There are plenty of fucknuggets out there. I bet many would say they didn't want to go another 50 yards as it would damage the tyre. The chances are the tyre is already f***ed, either due to the pucture or simply by the driving on it just stopping after a sudden deflation.

They'll probably be the same fucknuggets who stop on brows of hills or just round corners to answer/make a phone call.

Meh, tyres on my car are about 30" dia and 10" wide (255/55R18) full size spare is on a bracket on the rear door. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No but theer is an approved sound "pharrppp".

Just gotta hope that those in your immediate vicinty are vaguely awake, not fucknuggets and get out of your way. People only a hundred yards or so behind ought to see the explosion and have time to slow down/brake/avoid without too much bother.

Seem you have a lot of trouble with tyres. I've had just two punctures in I'm not sure how many years as the first was so long ago I'd almost forgotten about it. The last was this year, sharp bit of road stone, worked it's way into the tread and a very slow puncture became rather quicker few weeks. Was in the repairable area though. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No problem with people behind, just the traffic by my side in lanes 1 and 2 who wouldn't see the off-side front anyway - with indicating and hooting they got the point - or maybe they could lipread?

The car on the motorway was a one-off, but my current car is a bit of a nail magnet, had four repairable punctures in the first year of owning it, thankfully only one more in the subsequent 2+ years.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Last time I had a flat was on a rented van.

First I knew was a bang. I was in lane 1, and pulled over straight away. I'm glad I didn't brake hard, because the tread had separated from the walls...

And then I couldn't find the locking wheel nut key.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Did you look in the ash tray?