Towing vehicle with a rope

It could be the parking brake friction material is optimised for holding rather than sliding friction.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oooooh, never seen that ... most common reason was corrosion/scoring on the inside due to crud, invariably due to old brake fluid ...

Reply to
Jethro

To prevent that is simple. The driver of the towed car should put it in gear and hold the clutch down until he needs to slow the car.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Unless it's a Citroen (LHM mineral fluid) or a recent silicone fluid, the effect of DOT 3 fluids on friction surfaces is less trouble than the loss of hydraulic pressure.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

There certainly are such things. Some of them are on motorways. However they're not on motorways by default, and _unless_ signed.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

There are a number of failures that are not common enough for one person in ten to see them in a lifetime.

For instance, I had a clamp diode go in a 16 year old XJS that removed the power steering and power brakes. For absolutely no reason whatsoever.

I personally have never ever had a steering rack go - stripped - yet I know of one woman who had three...do that. I hesitate to comment on her driving style.

I've seen something on our potholed roads that is totally rare in suburbia..damaged wheels and tyres.

Red hot brakes and a cold puddle and a flawed casting..its possible.

You probably wont ever see a siezed Mcpherson top bearing in this country. (where you wind up the springs every time you turn a corner) yet I drove my GFs Datsun like that for over a year in Africa..think dust.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

..as long as the reason its being towed isn't a rod through the block :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Had a car come in once, the alternator light wasn't coming on with the ignition. After 3 exchange alternators we discovered the wire for the alternator and oil pressure had been swapped ...

Reply to
Jethro

Bench seats were common in the UK at one time. Usually coupled with steering column gear change and an umbrella handle type handbrake. (IIRC some cars would have had a conventional handbrake but on the outside of the driver rather than the inside).

Lotus Elans (the rear wheel drive ones) had a separate set of small disk pads for the handbrake as well as the umbrella style handbrake lever which was not at all easy to grab when the foot-brake failed.

You want to try grabbing for a handbrake when the handle is under the dash and you are just entering a 120 degree bend on a steep hill?

Reply to
Roger Chapman

There is actually a road sign for minimum speed limits so could be introduced on motorways in the future but I have never ever seen one either on a motorway or on an ordinary road.

OTOH certain classes of vehicle are generally banned from motorways including slow moving vehicles which include things like JCBs and agricultural tractors.

And no I am not lending any support to Dennis who is plainly wrong.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

As are 50cc bikes that have a maximum speed of 30mph, which is why some people believe there is a 30mph minimum speed limit on the motorway.

I would hope that the driver of any car doing 30mph on a clear motorway would be charged with dangerous driving. It would not be an inconvenience but a hazard.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The poster was dennis. Of course he was confused.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

if you are overloaded and underpowered, you have no choice.

The alternative - blocking up a country road for miles - is even less attractive.

Indeed :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's very 'kind' of you.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

dennis will soon be along to point out that you should not overload a car.

Tractors do. But then I suppose that is the sort of thing you would expect to see on a country road.

And always will be. He is gifted in that respect.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I'm feeling charitable.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

And no, that is not the gf's name.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Not for 100 miles, no they don't.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Caravans do:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Why? Are we to assume that every other user of the m'way is blind and stupid?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon