Towbars and approval?

Seeing a lot of towbars that fit the car on Ebay, is it necessary to have 'em professionally fitted (will insurers, the DoT etc. insist on it) or is it something a competent DIY mechanic can do given the correct fittings / big drill / crushtubes for the chassis members?

Dave H.

Reply to
Dave H.

"Dave H." gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

How new's the car? If it's post-98, they need to have EC approval for the car, which needs them to use the manufacturer's install points - so very little drilling etc. Multiplexed electrics on newer cars will mean wiring probably needs a specific kit, too.

There's no requirement to have 'em pro-fitted, even on a brand spankin' car.

Reply to
Adrian

In message , Adrian writes

Yup, just fitted one to our 2000 Mondeo. Used a new Witter towbar

It was an easy enough job as such things go. A couple of the spacers that go inside the chassis members we a bit of a tight fit -I had to tediously file one down a bit and could on;ly find a smallish fine-ish file. And access on one side was awkward cos of the exhaust pipe so tightening up was a fiddle.

Take care of you buy a second hand bar off of Ebay that it has all the bolts etc., or that you know what they are and can source them OK. Witter state that they won't supply replacement bolts etc. Other makes might do the same.

Reply to
chris French

Really? Where did you see that?

Him & Her

In message , Him & Her writes

Well I could have sworn I read something about that on the Witter site. but it appears I didn't. :-)

I certainly read something about someone not supplying replacement bolts, but I'm not sure where anymore. I'd browsed a number of site whilst shopping for the new towbar.

Sorry for the mis-information.

Reply to
chris French

A friend of mine is a Volkswagen mastertech, and recently posted photos of a horror story of a tow bar fitting that he'd been asked to put right. The customer had thought that the dealership quote was far too much, so had gone to a backstreet electrician. Of course it cost far far more in the end.

Quoting the captions from the photos:

| un-fused wire from positive battery! running through holes in moving | rear suspension

| live wire on exhaust

| [wire tucked under] heat shield like a razor

| [wire dangling under chassis] not much use for off roading

| birds nest & scotch locks

| live wire with bare bit was taped to body!

| wires to towbar exit via one way vent designed to keep water out - now | jammed open

Recent VWs use a single wire for brake and side lights, and pulse width modulate the voltage to adjust the brightness.

Reply to
Alan J. Wylie