Toughened glass shelves

A while ago I asked about suppliers of toughened glass shelves, but everywhere I went wanted an arm and both legs for specials. I re-designed the project to use some "off the shelf" shelves from Ikea that were listed as 600x350x10. Today I drove a 40 mile round trip (and spent about 2 hours) to buy them and guess what - they bl**dy well aren't 10mm thick - they come as a pack of 2 and the *pack* is 10mm, the glass is 4 or 5mm. Bl**dy Ikea!

I'm back to my original quest - where can I get some 8 or 10mm thick toughened glass shelves (about 550x350) at a sensible price?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Have you tried a shopfitter, or a catering equipment supplier ? Most shop shelves that are glass are 10mm toughened, and so is the glass in counter display fridges, which often have shelves in them as well. If neither of those has anything laying scrap up the corner of their warehouse that they would sell you, they might be able to point you at a tame glass supplier that they use.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I've had toughened glass (not that thick though, to be fair) from a local upvc window supplier/fabricator. I can't recall what it cost me, but it certainly wasn't prohibitive compared with the equivalent in standard glass. Maybe you just need to keep looking?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Order what you want from your local glass supplier. They are a good source of free info - e.g. the toughening fire polishes the edges so you probably don't need to have them bevelled. It takes two or three days as they have to be sent away to be toughened.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

Glue the two together? You can get super glue for glass *if* you can get them together without trapping air.

Reply to
dennis

I was quoted £51 *per shelf* by my local glass supplier, a couple of others suggested by people here when I last asked quoted £32 and £40. Presumably it's so expensive because it's a special run so I was hoping to find a source of "off the shelf" shelves. I need six or eight so 50 quid each is just a tad too high.

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Hmm, good lateral thinking but the front edge and much of the side edges will be on display. I'm also going to put an LED strip along the back so they need to be a single piece of glass.

NoSpam

It wont have much effect on the leds.

Be even more lateral.. put a thin stainless steel sheet in between. Then it will look nice and you can have two colours of leds.

Reply to
dennis

It seems that you want an unusual, high quality, one-off bespoke product but are not prepared to pay for it.

£32 each for eight of these sounds like a reasonable price.
Reply to
Bruce

As I said earlier, I'm looking for an "off the shelf" shelf - i.e. something that is not bespoke - because the bespoke price is surprisingly high.

Reply to
NoSpam

Then you need to change your ideas to suit what is available at a price that you are prepared to pay.

Reply to
Bruce

Thanks for your advice

Reply to
NoSpam

You're welcome. I take no pleasure seeing someone going round and round in ever decreasing circles.

Reply to
Bruce

Those prices are about right. I paid £47 for a 6mm piece approx 600 x

500mm toughened. This from the cheapest glass supplier I have ever found. 8 or 10mm is rather thicker than standard, plus you double the price for toughened, so you wont get anything any cheaper IMO. Alan.
Reply to
A.Lee

check out closing down or post winter sales in sheds.

You may find half a dozen 'bathroom shelves' of the rightish size..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

True enough. When I enquired about glass shelves the glazier recommended non-toughened glass. I've little idea whether that would be ok or not, just his say do. Certainly far cheaper.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

ever thought of sticking 2 together?

There is some truth in that - toughened is very brittle on the edges - tap it on the edge with a sharp object, and it shatters. Normal glass wont be bothered by small taps.

The obvious downside using normal glass is that ii breaks into large pieces, so possibly a stabbing hazard if it were to break.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

It's Groundhog Day

David

Reply to
Lobster

Agreed I'd not want normal glass for shelves for that very reason.

Is laminated an option?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice