toughened glass

Apart from the use of a hammer, is there any easy way of checking that double glazing units fitted to my new front door are actually toughened? Elsewhere in the house, glass below waist height has an etched kite mark and BS number.

Is such glass necessary where the width is only a bit over 4"?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

See

Peter Andrews

IME all toughened units should have a kitemark on both panes of a toughened DG unit.

JimK

Reply to
JimK

They usually do, but it is possible to specify that you'd like it without. You often get some slight rippling in the glass from the heating during toughening, which I've never seen on non toughened. It shows up best if you can look at something reflected in the glass - if you get a slightly distorted reflection, it's probably toughened.

auctions

Look through it with polarised glasses or a polarising filter. Quite often you can see the stress patterns created by the process.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , Peter Andrews writes

narrow width is less than 250mm. Quite big really.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb