Totally OT: Pet hates

Bob Martin

Lacked the courage of your conviction.

Reply to
Richard

Vickers ship model tank 1970, a similar product but without the reflective finish was known as *carriage tape* because that is where it was most used.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Well, this thread has gotten well out of control afaiac (another 78 unread postings!) so I've decided to set Pan to ignore it. No personal insult intended but life's short enough as it is and, according to Pan's less than accurate reporting, there's another 700 unread postings in this NG for me to browse through. :-(

Reply to
Johnny B Good

It is a station on a railway

Reply to
bert

LOL

Reply to
bert

In article , michael adams writes

Well f*ck a duck. Who would have thought it.

Reply to
bert

It is also where trains are stationary to allow the passengers to get on and get off conveniently.

Reply to
Sam Crean

Following that logic, what's a bus station?

(But no-one said English was logical.)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

roadway station

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes. But costs three times as much. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When the Gaffer shakes the Best Boy's hand, does he have a Dolly Grip?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Now there's a pet hate... people who post about their intentions not to read posts. The irony is that the poster stayed on topic.

Reply to
Richard

After posting that contribution, I realised I'd have to delay setting Pan to ignore *this* thread (I decided to simply mark the thread as 'Read' before my own post became part of the 'unread count' so I could track it and any responses). I also realised I'd forgotten to add "and, no doubt, add a few more threads to the ignore list - this isn't the only thread that's "Starting To Get Old Real Fast!"(tm).".

At an average of about 300 postings a day, this is, by a very wide margin indeed, the busiest of all the News Groups I'm subscribed to. Ignoring threads (usually the OT ones) is the only rational way to handle such a high traffic group without missing out on the more useful or humorous contributions. That's not to say this thread was lacking humour (to begin with at any rate - usefulness, otoh, was effectively zero once the initial curiosity had been satisfied).

Having read 3 or 4 other new postings before seeing my own contribution and this follow up, there's only another 5 unread posts left to peruse. Perhaps the traffic in this thread is finally settling down to a mere dribble compared to a day or two back. I'll probably hang fire on adding it to the ignore list. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

In article , Sam Crean writes

So a station-wagon should be called a stationary wagon and a station master is a stationary master. A station is a point at which a service is provided. In this case the railway station provides rail services which may or may not involve a stationary train and incidentally not all trains carry passengers.

Reply to
bert

English is never that logical. That's why we have words like airport when there is no port at all and it isn't called an air station or plane station.

And yet we don't call the benefits office a station. Or a hospital as patient station or health station either.

If they don't its no use as a railway or train station.

But the train does normally need to stop even when its just goods being loaded on or offloaded at the station.

Reply to
Sam Crean

On 14/03/16 23:27, bert wrote: .

Actually a station is really a fixed point with a purpose within a continuum. As in work station. Station in life. Etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dunno what you lot would make of the Stations of the Cross.

This is after all a Christian country (in law, if not fact) and that ought to be well known.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I once parked to go to Halfords, but got there 10 minutes before it opoened. I parked in the middle of a virtually deserted car park, well away from the shops, only for someone to park right next to me a couple of minutes later. He then got out, opened the front passenger door and banged it into my car. I ignored it as just one of those things, but when he did it twice more he got told quite clearly of the error of his ways!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker