Totally OT: Pet hates

And pre-prepare.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Present tense seems to be the only tense used by many news commentators.

Reply to
S Viemeister

But I don't like my vice versa, thank you *very* much.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Funnily enough, mine too (BTW, it's "Tourette Syndrome" - you added an extra 's').

Reply to
Johnny B Good

"Literally, I was like sacred, it was literally mayhem"

I saw multiple "literally"'s yesterday in the Evening Boris and thought of this thread.

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's got so bad that the OED[1] now includes a definition of literally that means figuratively.

[1] remember, it's descriptive not prescriptive.
Reply to
Andy Burns

That must have made home life 'interesting'. My father was not quite that bad, although there were certainly elements, and he was extremely dogmatic. He just made decisions that may not be based on logic, but once made ...

Reply to
News

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

Well, if we're including the written word then yes, stationary is a winner. Too, to and two. There, their and they're. Break and brake. The list goes on.

Reply to
News

I actually saw someone write 'anythink' just recently. I thought it was only something people said.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It is in fact Tourette's syndrome.

Possessive.

Only Americans drop the {'s}

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You've loosed me there...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do be a refugee from Scotland living in England, you'd really need to be some 500 years old.

Which country are you a refugee from, Wodney?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , T i m writes

I have just read a post elsewhere, where the author typed any think for anything.

Reply to
News

Sikth instead of sixth.

"Off his (her, my, our etc.) own BACK", instead of "BAT".

Reply to
stvlcnc43

But "I can't be doing with" is acceptable?

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

And some historians!

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I have noticed that. I find it really annoying.

Reply to
S Viemeister

It's a strange question to ask at this stage but yes, you're safe. :-) It's an entirely acceptable phrase afaiac and it does have a longer pedigree than the "It does my head in" phrase.

You were obviously quite comfortable using it the first time round. Why you now seem to be not so sure is a bit of a puzzle. Was there any particular reason for seeking my opinion in particular? After all, I'm not a "Well Known Phrases and Sayings" guru. You'd be much better off googling the phrase than seeking my approval. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

As I was casting nasturtiums at "parking up" I thought I would introduce a couple of my own hostages to fortune and I wondered why one triggered a response but not the other.

Your answer made ample sense.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

En el artículo , Huge escribió: