Totally OT: Pet hates

In message , Chris J Dixon writes

Are you sure you're not Martin Bryce? :-)

Reply to
News

I had to look up the reference. Having done so I have to admit that there are similarities.

They don't make TV like they used to. :-(

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

people who use the phase 'does my head in' !!!.

Aufzug ????

Reply to
Andrew

Even worse is forward planning. Is there any other sort?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Chronic when they mean acute.

Reply to
Huge

It's just a mild form of Tourette syndrome. BTW, "It does my head in" gets right on my t*ts, especially when I happen to be t*ts up. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Strictly yes.

Forward planning was a term used to distinguish what became I suppose logistics and project planning, from architects or engineers plans and planning, at least in the large engineering company I did my apprenticeship in.

It is I agree ban ugly term, and we probably have better today.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's quite obviously added to disarm any potential charges of stating the (bleedin') obvious, init? :-)

However, I agree it does start to get on one's t*ts when every sentence includes that word as if the author was the victim of a peculiar form of Tourette Syndrome.

So, getting back to the issue of prefixing sentences with unnecessary "so"s, I've noticed this affectation in interviews with "Scientific Experts" on BBC documentaries such as "The Sky At Night" and in Horizon episodes (but more specifically TSAN where it seems all the more egregious since the interviewers themselves also suffer the same affectation).

I'd have thought the producers of those programmes would have received more than enough complaints by now to be offering their interviewees the services of a speech coach to nip this child like lack of confidence in the bud.

Perhaps, like me, they (other viewers) are all assuming that the producers actually "sample their own product" so shouldn't need our input to draw their attention to the problem and therefore, like myself, CBA to post or email a missive of complaint (and thus through the power of apathy, we descend the slippery slope of falling standards).

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Government planning ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Illicit instead of elicit.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Also, as a retired teacher

Pupil - Do you have a ruler?

Me - Yes thank you.

leaving one puzzled pupli.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Football comentators describing the events in a match using the present tense.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Indeed. Pre order. Either order something that is not (yet) available, or don't, but pre order?

Reply to
News

I think there is a hint of Martin Bryce and Victor Meldrew in most of us, as the years pass :-)

Indeed. I will confess to having watched some episodes of Ever Decreasing Circles via YouTube, and being amused. Very gentle comedy, but funny, nevertheless.

Reply to
News

People using the present continuous: "I am liking that".

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

I recall one interchange which went

Teacher - Where's your homework?

Pupil - It's at 'ome.

Teacher - Really, you've written a whole book?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

The Richard Briers character was indistinguishable from my father. Really.

My father was not amused when I pointed this out.

Reply to
Bob Eager

My pet hate is people blathering 'Tourettes syndrome' without knowing what it really means...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Stationary instead of stationery, and versa vice.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh, I know. I have had students who suffered from it. One made a point of announcing it whenever he started a new module; he told his fellow students so that they knew what to expect in lectures.

Reply to
Bob Eager