Totally OT: How much will people pay?

I'd be wary of fresh fruit and veg via an online supermarket but we can get that from the local grocers.

The pickers (in Tesco at least) just pick from the front of the shelves so if they are doing the shelf stacking right it will be stuff closest to it's date. But most dry stuff that is 6 9 or 12 months into the future so hardly relevant. For fresh/perishhables I might look at the date and then dig to the back of the shelve but not very often. But then I only use the various dates as a guide, look and smell are more influential on deciding if something is edible.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I did that and they still tasted of nothing.

Reply to
stuart noble

If they deliver to where he lives. Only Asda and Sainsburys (recent addition. not seen their van) do for here.

Don't they deliver everywhere (on the mainland) now?

Two weeks ago I was in the dales at one of the most inaccessible bits imaginable for England, at the end of a narrow single track road serving a small village, and what did we get stuck behind? A Tesco van!

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Well there it is. Nearest shop to us is 2.5 miles (village shop via some dodgy roads). Nearest supermarket is 6.5 miles up hill and down Mrs Dale so once a week or less. Bus goes into town a couple of times a day but then you only get the Metro stores.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Not in my area (north coast of Scotland), but the local Post Office will deliver milk, eggs, etc.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Still have a Post Bus? There was one here for the first few years after we moved.

In the Dales? Crowded... There are only four main routes into here, all but one rise to between 1500 and 2000'+. The "low" route is just short of a 1000'. All get blocked by snow most winters. To get to any place bigger than a large village, with more than a pub and Co-op, you have to drive

20+ miles.

Tesco will deliver to selected postcodes in and very near to the town but not to us 2.5 miles from there. Seems a bit odd as they have to drive 30 odd miles to get to the town, what's another couple of miles FFS. Asda will deliver and they have to come a little bit further...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We managed to temporarily save our PostBus with a community campaign, but it only provides one very early morning trip to Lairg and one lunchtime return. And there are no supermarkets in Lairg - the supermarkets and butchers are in Thurso, and that PostBus is no more.

I get bulky non-perishables from Amazon and Staples, and the fish man comes by once a week.

Reply to
S Viemeister