Totally OT: Book title and author

About the only link to DIY is that I read the book myself and I am trying to remember the title and author - can anyone help?

It is set in USA during the 20th century and is the story of the life of a magician

It is fiction and a rattling good read, ideal for taking on holiday and the sort of thing that both men and women would enjoy reading

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Not sure when this is set

Usenet Nutter

There must be some law to cover this situation. I have been sitting here frustrated not remembering the title for a couple of hours. Post the question and immediately the title pops into my head

"Carter beats the devil" by Glen David Gold

A great read ...

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

It's the same as when you can't find something you have been looking around the house for ages and you give up but then it immediately turns up when you look for something else .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

In article , Anna Kettle writes

As an experiment could you try posting first to alt.test instead to see if the same phenomenon repeats.

Reply to
fred

Or when you've been waiting for ever for a delivery, you ring up to ask where it is and it arrives five minutes later.

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com (Anna Kettle) saying something like:

George W. Bush - How I Fooled All Of Them.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

No, it's the usenet version of 'cardboarding'.

Verbalising the issue forces the thought process to fit words of language to express the issue. Lingustic connections in the choice of those words eventually walks the mind around other works and things that may have been remembered previously. Problem is, ye need someone standing there to hear you, look kind of responsive and start the process.

From my programming days, that may as have been a cardboard model. The real humans were regulary making it quick for the door when I had the issues....

Reply to
Adrian C

With an appreciation of his lovely assistant Tony Blair !!

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

"I've told you before that your glasses are on top of the Microwave".

Gets me every time!

Reply to
Clot

On top of the microwave, I could find them. But what idiot hid them in my glasses case?

"Did you do that?"

"No."

"Well neither did I. Must have been that Otto Pilot again."

Reply to
Ian White

A good read indeed, albeit somewhat inaccurate about the methodology :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Anagrams too. If one defeats you, forget it and it then pops into your head when you're doing summat else. Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott