Totally OT - Behaviour in Supermarkets

:-) I really like my local DIY place for that; the staff all seem to carry encyclopedias around in their heads and know exactly what everything is, where is it in the store, and how much is costs - whether it has an intact bar-code or not.

Reply to
Jules

If I go to a restaurant, I don't pay till after I've eaten - is that theft?

Since I've got no intention to deprive the supermarket of their money, I'd be very surprised if anybody a) tried to prosecute me and b) succeeded.

Reply to
Clive George

When that's happened to me they send a runner to get the barcode or whatever off the label on the shelf.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Although I would always take something back to the right place myself, I can sort of understand this behaviour in my local supermarket. They have a bit of a habit of stocking the same goods with different deals in different parts of the shop, so you pick up, for example, a pack of

4 batteries (same applies to beer etc etc) then find a display in a different part of the shop with 8 batteries on a 4 + 4 deal at the same price as the original 4. Around it will be scattered all the 4 packs that people have tossed there when they took up the better deal and, presumably, the people who drop them deduce that the supermarket is just trying to screw profits out of the unwary by distributing the good deals away from where the main stock is and in some small way they're taking revenge.

B+Q are different of course, as they often completely fail to put a relevant price anywhere near a display (or display a price that's different from what the till shows when it's scanned). They must wonder why some things sell so slowly. The best in my local though was the long-lasting pallet of plasterboard that someone had clearly reversed a fork-lift into, so each sheet had a huge ding out of it. I asked them if they'd discount it as damaged goods and, when they refused, bought some good sheets elsewhere. 6 months later, the stack was still sitting there intact......

Reply to
GMM

OTOH, taking something from another's trolley (before the checkout) isn't ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 06:39:21 GMT, Chris J Dixon had this to say:

It's good fun dropping something unusual into somebody else's trolley when they leave it in the middle of an aisle :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

For some value of "unusual". I'm a regular Sainsbury's shopper but (like many people I guess) I wouldn't dream of buying 99.9% of what they sell.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I'd rather believe that than that I was losing my marbles ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

However it would also be difficult to prove theft, against a halfway competent brief in a magistrate's court. "Theft" has a very specific meaning (look it up, it's really very narrow), and doesn't cover this. Of course if the defendant was before a jury, they'd be unlikely to have sympathy for a legal nicety like that.

If anything, there would be a stronger case for criminal damage to the chicken leg.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Duct tape?

Squirty foam?

Angle grinder?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 02:49:28 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley had this to say:

Nah - WD40's supposed to stop all squeaking.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

"Huge" wrote

I want to know what divvy designed those child seats that get issued in supermarket cafes! This is a tall plastic cylinder with a moulded seat shape at the top. Practically every child I've seen sitting in one of these feels duty-bound to thump their heals against it creating a totally aggravating drumming sound. Neither parents nor cafe staff seem interested in preventing this annoyance.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

You forgot the WD40.

Reply to
<me9

One *Really* wonders what it's like living with them in their house !

(My guess is that the kids get plonked en-mass in front of a great big telly and the volume turned up full. Or alternatively, they have about

15 siblings and they all have to yell and scream above each other to get food.)

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Our local B&Q seem to have frequent purges when the bin the F***ing lot and start again.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Andy Dingley wibbled on Monday 12 October 2009 10:49

To quiet the children?

To prevent the female reproducing more?

To prevent the male reproducing more?

Reply to
Tim W

But why is it that the stuff they decide to stop stocking always comes from the remaining 0.1% ?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Were you meaning condoms and nuns by any chance?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Can you imagine what would happen if the staff even mentioned it to the parents!

Went in a fish and chip cafe a few days ago and a baby was licking and sucking the top of a tartar sauce dispenser jar on the table - and then banging it. Mother oblivious.

Reply to
John

high-pitched

Nature is working then. Child shrieking gets the attention of an adult, even if said adult is busy doing something else or has nothing to do with the said child. Adult has to remove themselves from the sound to avoid the distress it causes them.

With screaming kids more often than not you see parent telling child "No, you can't have that", child gets upset, parent sticks with the no, child starts wailing, parent sticks with no, child throws a tantrum, parent gives in and lets child have what ever it was. Now child has got what it wanted and is quiet but child has been rewarded for their bad behaviour. So next time parent says no, child throws a tantrum as that gets them what they want.

When ours tried the "throwing a tantrum in the super market" bit, we just laughed at them and made damn sure they didn't get any reward for the behaviour. I don't think they tried it more than twice, it simply didn't get them anywhere.

Quite probably.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice