Totally OT: Bank account advice

Having online banking, I can log in and transfer money to all and sundry. However, my bank, the Co-op, does not have the facility to make a note next to the payment to say what it is for - like the notes I would put on a cheque stub if we still used such things. So, by the time I come to do my accounts, I am FUBARed.

So, can anyone recommend an online bank account that allows this facility?

Better still I am looking for one that is integrated with a very basic cash book accounts system hosted on the bank's system? I just want one or two spare fields, so that I can allocate the expenditure to one of a number of simple expense codings. The idea is to go online, make the payment, make notes about who/what has been paid, and do the rudimentary book-keeping all in one go.

Reply to
GB

If you speak to your bank, they will have a recommended accounts package which will integrate with their on-line banking. Just fire up the accounts package, and log in to your account.

Sage springs to mind, but it's not cheap.

Reply to
John Williamson

Sage has claimed to link to Natwest online banking for several versions, I've never managed to get it to do much more that produce a CSV file of things that should be transferred.

It's not horrendous, but they do know how to keep turning the screw.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I just copy and paste the transactions into Excel so I can manipulate the data in any way I want. I also extract text to identify direct debits or whatever, and to automatically enter the name of the supplier in a separate field. Has worked well for me for a decade or so.

Reply to
stuart noble

You can make notes on HSBC payments. It may not suit you as there are security checks to overcome when you setup a new payment.

Reply to
dennis

The HSBC one may be OK for you then, you can download the transactions in excel format.

Reply to
dennis

Virgin One Account lists the payee against all transactions, no need to add notes. You can categorise payments but I've never used that facility so i don't know what else you can do.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I've recently started using GNUCash and the export to Microsoft Money format facility from Barclays online banking, but as I can't work directly on the account data without importing it, I doubt that'll do what the OP wants.

Still, it costs nowt to try it...

Reply to
John Williamson

Same with Santander, but I find copy and paste to be faster.

Reply to
stuart noble

I print out the slip like it says you can, write on it what its for, then file it with the bank statements. Simples.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Assuming it is similar to my Smile accounts, which are the Co-op too, you h= ave the option of 'make transfer' or 'pay bills'. The 'pay bills' option is= just a transfer with the option of adding a reference. The reference is vi= sible to the recipient too, which might not be ideal, but you could use it = to make a note of the purpose and add an expense coding.

andrew

In message , "dennis@home" writes

LTSB have one but I can't remember what it's called and I've never used it

Reply to
hugh

the option of 'make transfer' or 'pay bills'. The 'pay bills' option is just a transfer with the option of adding a reference. The reference is visible to the recipient too, which might not be ideal, but you could use it to make a note of the purpose and add an expense coding.

Brilliant, if it's as simple as that! I'll report back. :)

Reply to
GB

In message , GB writes

You can also give Smile bank transfers a name/reference as well. AFAICT this is just for your own use, it doesn't get passed onto the recipients.

Reply to
chris French