TOT: Weeping for long-gone days

..."Are You Sitting Comfortably?"...

Reply to
Graham.

There was, and still is something about "Love and Marriage" sung by Frank Sinatra that conjures up some long forgotten dark association.

Reply to
Graham.

Someoneone on "Alan Davies: As Yet Untitled" on Dave last night mentioned, "A place in Ireland called Athlone" as if he didn't expect anyone to have heard of it.

Reply to
Graham.

I've now got this image of a tube down your sleeve, and a rubber ball in your hand.

Reply to
Graham.

What a great post from Bill. Brought back a lot of memories.

Yes, I bought "Children's Favourites" around that time, except I got it on two cassettes. I also bought a video cassette containing one of each of the original "Watch with Mother" programmes - five in all, one for each weekday. There's a prize for the first person who can remember the programmes' names - and the day they were broadcast each week.

Of course, I bought these for my daughter, who was around 4 years old at the time......

Talking about radios, when my parents got married in 1949, they bought a state-of-the-art radiogram. Huge thing, floor standing, wood cabinet, c 10" loudspeaker. The radio had 5 valves, L, M, S wavebands and also "Trawler Band", which was "top band". Living on the Fife coast at the time, we could hear the trawlers conversing. It was not AC/DC, and was made by the Seymour Radio Company in Arbroath. The record deck used needles, played 78s only, and was made by Plessey. I eventually removed the radio from the cabinet and used it free standing on a shelf.

Does any of this ring any bells?

Reply to
John J Armstrong

Reykjavik and Hilversum always spring to mind.

Reply to
Phi

In message , Brian-Gaff writes

50 years ago, our scout troop bought an ex GPO box van (Morris LC5, or similar), and we used that for camping trips. Open the back doors, throw in the marquee, tents, kit bags and scouts. No-one thought it strange, and no-one was hurt. We travelled all over the country like that. Seat belts, what seat belts? What seats?
Reply to
News

Don't forget Droitwich and Athlone!

Syke

Reply to
pjmac

We were on DC mains for about ten years after the war, for my experimenting I had to used ex wd rotary transformers

Reply to
Phi

We had a RGD Plus-a-Gram. A radio with an input for a turntable in a cabinet with a drop down front and cupboard for records. The original turntable got replaced with a Garard Deck.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I've actually got a CD of that lot, "children everywhere" its called..

well two boxed sets of them in fact;!...

Must admit to buying this a while ago seem its gone up in price a bit since just bought it just for that "Sea songs" was the opening music to Anglia TV start up in the 60's!..

Or here:)...

and another fine modern version too showing Nelson giving it those frenchies;)...

tony sayer

In article , damduck- snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk scribeth thus

Yesss ...

.. the amount of children whose lives were dictated by Barwick green;!..

And thats on that CD as per other post..

Track 11.....

Disc: 1

  1. Devil's Galop (Signature Music For The Dick Barton Programm)
  2. Calling all Workers (1997 Digital Remaster)
  3. Westminster Waltz (1997 Digital Remaster)
  4. Puffin' Billy (1997 Digital Remaster)
  5. The Horse Guards - Whitehall (London Landmarks)
  6. In Party Mood (1997 Digital Remaster)
  7. (By the) Sleepy Lagoon (1997 Digital Remaster)
  8. Girls in Grey (1997 Digital Remaster)
  9. Silks and Satins (1997 Digital Remaster)
  10. 3. March
  11. Barwick Green (The Archers Theme)
  12. The Runaway Rocking Horse (1997 Digital Remaster)
  13. The Girl from Corsica (1997 Digital Remaster)
  14. Non Stop (1997 Digital Remaster)
  15. Skyscraper Fantasy (1997 Digital Remaster)
  16. The Headless Horseman (1997 Digital Remaster)
  17. On A Spring Note
  18. Sea Songs - March (1997 Digital Remaster)
  19. PC 49 Theme (1997 Digital Remaster)
  20. A Canadian in Mayfair (1997 Digital Remaster)
  21. Dancer at the Fair (1997 Digital Remaster)
  22. Las Vegas (1997 Digital Remaster)
  23. Starlight Roof Waltz
  24. Evensong (1997 Digital Remaster)
  25. Knightsbridge March (from London Suite) (1997 Digital Remaster)

Disc: 2

  1. Marching Strings (1997 Digital Remaster)
  2. Coronation Scot (1997 Digital Remaster)
  3. Jumping Bean (1997 Digital Remaster)
  4. Sound and Vision (1997 Digital Remaster)
  5. The Young Ballerina (1997 Digital Remaster)
  6. Parisian Mode (1997 Digital Remaster)
  7. The Horse Feathers (1997 Digital Remaster)
  8. Portrait of a Flirt (1997 Digital Remaster)
  9. Cavalcade of Youth (1997 Digital Remaster)
  10. Running off the Rails (1997 Digital Remaster)
  11. Sailing By (1997 Digital Remaster)
  12. Winter Sunshine (1997 Digital Remaster)
  13. Parakeets and Peacocks (1997 Digital Remaster)
  14. Melody on the Move (1997 Digital Remaster)
  15. High Heels
  16. The Haunted Ballroom - Concert Waltz (1997 Digital Remaster)
  17. All Strings And Fancy Free
  18. Sapphires and Sables
  19. Dance of an Ostracised Imp (1997 Digital Remaster)
  20. Smile of a Latin (1997 Digital Remaster)
  21. Beachcomber
  22. Dreaming - Waltz
  23. Concert Jig (1997 Digital Remaster)
  24. A Quiet Stroll (1997 Digital Remaster)
  25. March
Reply to
tony sayer

We had an American "Pilot" radio given to us by a family member purser on a liner. It was in the "posh" lounge, so I ran a cable from it to the dining room for an extension speaker. Turned it on and got thrown across the room. That's when I found out about AC/DC radios.

Music While You Work was still live in the early '60's because I was involved in investigating noise on the lines from Maida Vale while the programme was on. I also remember later going to the basement in BH because everyone was raving about Victor Sylvester's brilliant guitarist. He was fantastic, but I have no idea who he was.

Reply to
Bill

Any mention of ?Music While You Work? also reminds me of a broadcast with a variation of that name. It was 'Music While You Wait'. It was broadcast on the morning of 2 June 1953. Not only was it broadcast using those mysterious invisible radio waves, it was also fed through loudspeakers in some London streets. That was the morning of the coronation of the Queen and there were approximately three million people lining the route of the procession many of whom had camped overnight (I was one).

Peter Duncanson

In message , Phi writes

208 Radio Luxembourg?
Reply to
Tim Lamb

I was only joking. He's not as mad as some here by far!

Reply to
harry

It's all out there for free!

harry

Have you still got your cardboard periscope?

Reply to
Graham.

Andy Pandy (who I thought was a girl, fooled by the narrators voice I suppose) The Woodentops Tails of the Riverbank (Which was boring) Bill and Ben

Damn, that's only four, I don't want to cheat with Google, and I know I will kick myself. As for the days, I should know because I bought the same VHS compendium (for my daughter of course). My wife bought me a Torchy the Battery Boy tape for my 50th. That wasn't shared with anyone else.

I am now the grandfather of a two-year-old, so children's TV is again important in this household.

I like to think that the floral transition into the magical "Night Garden" is a homage to what we have been talking about. I put together this little video to illustrate what I mean. Skip right to the end.

Graham.

In message , Graham. writes

"Tales of the Riverbank" was my favourite, which I suppose only goes to show that different small children have different tastes. The other programme was "Picture Book".

Reply to
John Hall