TOT VW

It does run all the time. It detects the usage pattern for an emission test and puts the engine in emission test mode. However the car would probably be un-drivable in this mode so when the engine management system detects that you are actually driving the car it switches to the high pollution/performance mode.

Yes.

Reply to
alan_m

I am surprised taht a competitor didn't suspect something and spill the beans.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Very good point, VERY good point. Unless of course they are all at it.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Ta.

Reply to
Huge

Urea consumption allegedly, And fuel consumption, and power.

All engines can and are mapped to provide some sort of compromise between fuel consumption, power and emissions.

No, that's because they are 'news' not 'information'.

Welcome to the 21st century.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its been going on more or less in one guise or another ever since 'US Spec' cars were equipped with air pumps to inject air into the exhaust to lower the *ratio* of CO in the exhaust without actually lowering the total emissions.

Its the way the regulations are written.

Do you know that the a similar system applies tio new coal fired power stations? They are supposed to not run at an average of more than 50% full power too 'reduce emissions.

Basically what that means is upu have to build one up to twice te size you need, and not use half of it to meet the regulations?

Its also the reason why many Scottish hydrolelectric plants are derated from around 30MW to under 25MW, so they too can attract a higher rate of subsidy?

Its the reason why we have windmills, especially small one, and solar panels on the roof,- because these smaller installations reprwsent better return on investment than larger ones.

Its the reason why we have wall warts, not integral power supplies, because getting a wall wart to meet regulations is cheaper than trying to get every single appliance to meet regulations.

Its the reason why Small Modular Reactors are being proposed in the nuclear industry, because type approval for a module would then ideally allow approval for power stations using them across the nation to be granted automatically.

Its the reason why big companies love the EU, because its cheaper to get a regulation framed to favour their product, than it is to design one better than their competitors.

Everywhere where government frames regulation, the challenge to a designer or manufacturer moves from satisfying the customer, to satisfying the regulatory authority.

VW habe just gone a little further than most.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why?

Its well known that the leaner the burn, the higher temperature and peak pressure you get, and high temperatures and peak pressures are what creates Nitrogen oxides.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The report I saw had it that two guys were looking at how cars really performed to show that diesels were in fact better and ran the things on real roads for a bit with detectors shoved up their (the cars) fannies.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They were/are all doing similar.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , at 18:09:38 on Wed, 23 Sep

2015, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:

Not just that - I once had a car that I'm fairly sure was deliberately geared so that it could do up to 62mph in 2nd gear, so that 0-60 times (measured on the road by magazines etc) were better on account of only needing one gear change from rest.

As for the VW tweak, I've read reports that the people designing the rolling-road tests have been scratching their heads about why their simulation of real-road conditions is so bad the results are off by 10x. Get real, people, off by maybe 20-30%, but for it to be 10x there simply has to be something else going on.

Reply to
roland

I'm pretty sure mine is like that.

1st gear will just about break traction (and it's rear wheel drive, so that's a lot of grip)

2nd will get to 60/100kph

5th is geared for maximum top speed

3rd and 4th are spaced nicely between 2nd and 5th.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris