TOT VW

Can someone explain to me why VW would have software that turns off the emission control and not run it all the time?

Does it affect the fuel consumption or soemthing else?

Non of the news I have seen or read has tried to explain thi.

Thanks

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

I would imagine it buggers the output power somewhat.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes, and power.

Reply to
Adrian

Can someone explain to me why VW would have software that turns off the emission control and not run it all the time?

They go faster with it turned off.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

As I understand it. Manufacturers turn it on to achieve better fuel economy and emissions figures and then turn it off again once those measurements have been done, to achieve better acceleration, both for official performance figures and for real-world driving by buyers of the car.

A despicably deceitful process, and one that all car manufacturers should be thoroughly ashamed of - because I'm sure it's more widespread and that this company are no worse than others, just that they are the ones who have been caught.

Reply to
NY

Please explain how.

AFAIK this all relates to whether the AdBlue system is running or not.

Reply to
Huge

s/running/fitted/

Reply to
Andy Burns

With diesels, you can get a lot more power by over fuelling. And doing so increases emissions dramatically.

If you find a hill where many floor it - like at the start of the M4 out of London, after the flyover, where the speed limit stops, most diesels will smoke markedly. Even newish ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Because the cars concerned either didn't have AdBlue systems fitted, or VW were trying to minimise consumption of DEF;

All of the news I have seen so far is technical content free claptrap.

Reply to
Huge

Bit difficult to run it when it isn't fitted. :o)

But I take your point.

Reply to
Huge

If only they'd waited until I'd actually sold my diesel Discovery. :o(

Reply to
Huge

On the 3.0TDIs sold in America, I think they do fit AdBlue, seems like they thought they could get away without this expense on the 2.0s, then found it needed a little "help" to pass ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

The cars have a small tank of urea which is squirted into the exhaust to reduce the NOx emissions, - but only during the emission test.

If the system was used all the time the cars would need a larger urea tank, which would have to be refilled at a cost of £50 p.a. - I read in the paper.

I think the US government bodies responsible for vehicle testing should have ensured that the way the VW emission control system worked was spotted earlier.

Reply to
Michael Chare

First explanation I've seen that makes sense.

Reply to
Huge

Reply to
Andy Burns

Damages the engine if run on "green" mode for long.

Reply to
harry

Except that al the press reports I have been reading say that tuning it on makes the fuel consumption worse.

Worse performance I understand and would expect, but worse fuel consumption not

most strange

tim

Reply to
tim.....

It's due to the highly unqualified and ignorant-about-everything-technical reporters and media presenters we are lumbered with these days.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I'd say it's the usual reporters not having a clue about their subject.

Interesting bit on NewsNight yesterday - they reported months ago on finding a vehicle which altered its software when being tested.

But it came as no surprise that testing bears no relation to real world driving. It never has. Makers have always tweaked their cars to get the best results for any test.

Ages ago, Autocar ran a Prius over a suburban route with a 3 series BMW following it. The Prius consumed more fuel than the BMW - despite having a test figure which suggested it was 50% better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

According to one report, it was the oddities in the fuel consumption during the emissions test that caused the lab to look more closely.

Reply to
Nightjar