TOT - The younger generation

those interested, have a listen to 3 lads in their very early teens (14,

15, 14) singing a rather popular Italian song.

(Link lifted from another group)

Reply to
Woodworm

Amazed by the first shot, how any hot blooded teenager can stop from looking to his right and down is beyond me!

Reply to
Moonraker

Amazing!

We used to do the Gilbert and Sullivan operas at school and I played the female lead in The Mikado two months before my 15th birthday. From memory, the other 'female' principals were in the same year.

I don't think you would be able to sing like that - assuming the ability - when your voice first broke[1], so all three must have been singing like this for some time.

Is this ascociated with puberty occurring earlier these days? What's the average age at which the male voice breaks?

[1] I can't comment from personal experience as, when my voice broke, it shattered! From playing the lead one year, I went the back row of the male chorus the following year and grunted a bit ...
Reply to
Terry Casey

principals

Thinking back (as I used to sing in a choir), I was a treble at 11½, and at 13 I tried alto but I had to very quickly transition through tenor to bass within a matter of a school term.

For the last 100+ years, male puberty has got one year earlier every 25 years, which is quite a frightening rate of change.

shattered! From

following year and

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

principals

shattered! From

following year and

I remember the music master at my school getting notceably more stressed as the G&S approached. He needed at least 14-year-olds for the leads and occasionally the leading 'lady' would become a rough tenor or deeper. That was 50 years ago, so it must be far worse nowadays.

Reply to
PeterC

_Our_ music master made a deal with the nearby Girls' school. About the only time we ever saw one...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ