TOT: Sim for SMS and GPRS data only

Totally off topic I know, but as this group has the answers to everything...

I need a sim (for use in a GPS data tracker) which is as cheap as possible to run. It will never be used for voice, just SMS and GPRS data.

The tracker will live in a caravan, located in a storage site. The tracker is configured to send me an SMS when it detects movement, and report on the caravan battery voltage - which it can only do by GPRS. (There will be a solar panel to recharge the battery)

Currently I have an ASDA PAYG sim, which in 6p/text (fine) BUT...

75p/day for GPRS (upto 25mb). I'm not expecting to send many texts, (only when the tracker detects movement) but the GPRS data although tiny is frequent, and useful to plot the battery voltage over time (computer recieving it at home), however the 75p/day charge will soon add up.

So can anyone suggest an alternative? I don't mind if contract or PAYG, as long as it's cheap!

Alan.

Reply to
AlanD

In article , AlanD writes

Prob one worth crossing over to uk.telecom.mobile

Reply to
fred

Thanks, will give them a try now...

Reply to
AlanD

Giffgaff PAYG 20p for 20Mbytes per day - it gets expensive after that on straight PAYG (20p for every additional 1Mbytes/day) but they offer Goodybags for £10/month with unlimited data (which isn't really unlimited - and they are currently discussing cutting back on the allowed usage with the Goodybag packages)

Giffgaff uses the O2 network.

Reply to
alan

There are so many variations in tarrifs these days that finding the best one for your particular useage pattern is nigh on impossible. You could try the Ofcom approved mobile phone price comparison sites:

in the expected useage and see what they come up with.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That sounds like the service you get from a Mobile Data dongle - SMS and data but voice blocked. At least that was what I had on my old Virgin £5/month dongle. You should certainly be able to get a data SIM for less than £22.50 a month. [0.75 * 30] Asuming that is the current tarrif you pay.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Search on eBay and you might find an old Vodafone dongle/sim on the £15 per gigabyte tariff which has no monthly charge.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I have several of those sims already... but they won't send SMS unfortunately!

Otherwise the £15 would go a very long way with that deal!

Reply to
Alan Deane

That sounds ideal, many thanks.

Reply to
Alan Deane

I'm pretty sure mine does SMS, it came with vodafone software to do that, I'll check later ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have one of the old Vodafone PAYG sim cards - and it definitely does send SMS.

J^n

Reply to
jkn

Haven't tried, but can you send an SMS via Skype from a program or script? i.e. is there a Skype API? If so, you could send the SMS over the data connection.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

The trackers we use in mobile plant have sims from the Czech Republic and are data and sms but as the control centre manage the data I cannot say how much they cost. The good thing is as they roam on any of the UK networks they have good coverage.

AJH

Reply to
news