TOT; Salt & Vinegar controversy.

The Belgians prefer Mayonnaise. Its quite nice too.

Reply to
fred

Don't knock it till you've tried it!

But I draw the line at that. [Reaches for the sick bucket]

Reply to
Ian Jackson

nl.ipv4.ptr.145.109.x.invalid...

There are forums somewhere for people who make their own vinegar, which, by all accounts, is harder than you'd think.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I like tartar sauce. It's got a tartness that helps cut through the grease. (I don't like vinegar.)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Mayonnaise is better than all of them

Reply to
Huge

Shame on you. Mayonnaise on chips is lovely.

Reply to
Huge

I would agree but that doesn't obviate the need for salt and vinegar (and salt) as well.

Reply to
Piers

+1

But we also have to distinguish between the proper french fries type of chips and the chip shop soggy rubbish we get here.

A Dutch colleague told me that british chips get soggy 'cos they're only cooked at 180 instead of 200 (or was it 160 instead of 180. Can't remember).

Reply to
Tim Streater

Mayo is good too (not at the same time).

Reply to
Adam Funk

Am I weird in preferring chip shop chips to be soggy ? If I wanted fries, I'd got to McDonalds.

While we're talking about chip shops, why is Rock Salmon unheard of in the Midlands :(

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Vinegar first... then extra vinegar, and you can forget the salt altogether after that ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Because the Midlanders know what it actually is?

Reply to
John Williamson

What about pepper, I occasinaly add black pepper as well as S&V but chippies rarely have it. Oh and garlic suace on kebabs I don't really like chilly sauce.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I like a few chips with the salt and vinegar.

Reply to
John Williamson

Because they call it 'cod' :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep, they ain't even proper chips aren't they made from corn starch rather than potaotoes.

No idea, is it salmon, I've had Rock n'n chips which is a sort of dogfish IIRC that has a lareg bobe down the centre which some cats love to chew on.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Not round here, they don't. Rock cod in some places, maybe, but cod round here is definitely not the same thing. It may be just some random white fish, but it definitely ain't Rock Salmon.

I don't remember ever seeing it for sale much north of Luton.

Reply to
John Williamson

That's the stuff. Dogfish. The chewy bit that cats love is the cartilagous spine.

Hmmm... Apparently, the local ones are endangered.

John Williamson

Depends whether you like to be get the whole content of the bag of chips at once just by pulling on one chip. Also depends on whether you want chips that have absorbed large amounts of the fat/oil during cooking, cos that's what you're getting.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That's the problem with chip shops, the chips are very variable. I like a crisp and golden on the outside, hot and medium fluffy on the inside chip. Not the barely warm slimey thing that some chippies serve.

Quite possibly and not par-boiling before frying.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice