TOT Replacement(s) for TCP Ointment (2023 Update)

Have been a great believer in TCP ointment over the years, for soothing and helping to heal all sorts of things such as:

cuts bites Farmers".

Alas, even on line sources of this wonderful commidity seem to have dried up.

Can anyone recommend alternates (either a one size fits all, or or separate products?)

TIA

Chris

Reply to
Chris Holmes

Germolene?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

For bites I recommend Anthisan anti-histamine cream.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Modern germolene bears the same relationship to the original as creosote substitute to creosote, IMHO

I find the modern liquid dettol is OK though.

Reply to
newshound

There are plenty of antibacterials about. Chlorhexidine is one of the more = popular, and is relatively nontoxic. You can buy it in many brand names, in= cluding hibisol etc. Or you can diy and make your own. 10% household bleach= is very effective on intact skin, more so than any commercial product out = there, its particularly broad spectrum, and deals with infections the other= s fail to.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

popular, and is

relatively nontoxic. You can buy it in many brand names, including hibisol etc. Or you can diy and make your own.

10% household bleach is very effective on intact skin, more so than any commercial product out there, its particularly

broad spectrum, and deals with infections the others fail to.

For pain relief try Ibuprofen gell.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

For killing bacteria on minor wounds, a simple tincture of iodine or povidone iodine is very effective. Don't go mad with it - excess iodine can be bad for you.

For some bites, etc., hydrocortisone cream can be good. Odd stuff, if it is going to work it usually does so quite quickly and might be the only thing that really works. But for other things it does next to nothing.

For small allergy-related lumps I was going to suggest Benadryl but that seem unavailable as well. Anthisan doesn't seem quite as good.

For softening skin, CCS footcare products.

Reply to
polygonum

Can you still get TCP liquid? If so try mixing it 50/50 with baby oil. In NZ the general cure all (rashes, cuts, preventing insect bites) is a

50/50 mix of Dettol and baby oil. So TCP could well work in the same way.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

you can still get the original

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Apropos of all this, does anyone know what is meant by "Anti-bacterial soap"? I thought all soap was anti-bacterial.

Reply to
Tim Streater

To differentiate it from pro-bacterial soap, of course.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

What? You can't buy TCP cream anymore?

Why on earth not?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

My favourite is the Dettol No-Touch Hand Wash System

"The no-touch dispenser means you can just put your hands under the tap to get the right amount of soap for a handwash - without needing to touch a potentially bacteria-infested pump".

Just before you use "Dettol's powerful antibacterial soap kills 99.9% of germs - including E.Coli, MRSA and flu virus".

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Many years ago I did a temporary stint cleaning a hospital. And the one product that you never saw was Dettol - of any sort. Savlon - yes - and that seems to be Cetrimide 3.0% w/v and Chlorhexidine Gluconate 0.3% w/v (not sure if that has changed over the years).

And you can get TCP Ointment:

tubes left... :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Googling TCP Ointment out of curiosity it appears it's an NHS approved medicine and so there seems no reason why supplies should be no longer available. On some sites its said to be temporarily unavailable which suggests there may have been a fire or similar incident which may have temporarily knocked out a production or storage facility somewhere along the supply chain. Boots at present are only supplying it on prescription. So that while its not actually a prescrition medicine this suggests that supplies are being rationed to the most deserving cases as determined by GP's until full production is resumed.

A summary of the product's ingredients

TCP Antiseptic Ointment contains TCP Liquid Antiseptic 6.4% w/w, Iodine 0.21% w/w, Methyl Salicylate 1.33% w/w, Precipitated Sulphur

1.5% w/w, Tannic Acid 0.4% w/w, Camphor 1.31% w/w and Salicylic Acid 0.4% w/w.

TCP Liquid Antiseptic is an aqueous solution of Phenol 0.175% w/v, halogenated phenols 0.68% w/v and Sodium Salicylate 0.052% w/v.

give you the type of ingedients look for in alternative products either singly or in combination in the interim.

michael adams

michael adams

quite old fashioned formulae. Not my first choice. It shouldn't be hard to source & assemble should you want.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In message , Chris Holmes writes

WD40

Reply to
geoff

What, in the tins? The stuff in the tubes is different

Reply to
newshound

What in this tube in front of me is identical.

top one is the original. The others are..different

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't want to ask but ...

Owain