TOT rant and request for help

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!

Can anyone explain how to get search engines to tell you what you want to know rather than just returning shopping sites like ciao.co.uk, comparestoreprices.co.uk and/or lists of lists like ufindus.co.uk and cylex-uk.co.uk???

And this is _without_ clicking the "shopping" preference in Google!!

Tried Bing and even Ask Jeeves, using the search phrase "who makes Flavel cookers" and still I get shitloads of useless shopping comparisons.

Rant over and thanks

Reply to
Pete Zahut

Beko - according to this ...

Peter B

Pete Zahut ( snipped-for-privacy@valid.com) wibbled on Wednesday 02 February 2011 16:56:

Tim Watts

Reply to
Pete Zahut

Reply to
Pete Zahut

In article , Pete Zahut writes

Mike Tomlinson

Stuffed Flavel into old-fashioned Google and one of the hits on the first page was

Flavel fires seem to be an unrelated company.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

engines offered by Firefox.

Only problem is that it invokes Google.com rather than Google.co.uk Anyone know of a way round this?

Reply to
Roger Mills

adds it to your list of engines - you can then delete the one you don't want.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Roger Mills ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) wibbled on Wednesday 02 February 2011

21:33:

If all else fails, search for "google.xml" file on your computer, for linux it may be:

/usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/en-GB/google.xml

Edit that (or all if several), changing google.com to google.co.uk

In the same directory will be all the other search box .xml files in case you want to hack with them.

Restart firefox and bing...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I think that's missing the point. When I use 'ordinary' Google, I already get google.co.uk, but when I use GMBMG - which adds the bit about blocking all the comparison sites to my search string, and then passes the whole thing to Google - it goes to google.com, not uk.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Well I've found google.xml - and several other .xml files in the same folder - but not many as I have search engines in the drop-down list, and definitely not one for GMBMG!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Ugh, cant remember how to open it as superuser in ubuntu

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Tabby ( snipped-for-privacy@care2.com) wibbled on Thursday 03 February 2011 08:47:

sudo su -

Reply to
Tim Watts

Once, if you searched the web for information, you found the information. About ten years ago this was swamped by hits for people wanting to sell you the information. Now you get sites that list people who want to sell you the information. or cooker.

That doesn't help, sorry.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Reply to
Skipweasel

The entire url is:

(without the Remington+MS2391 bit in of course), so edit FF's address file to change the .co to .co.uk and see what happens.

I use Yahoo (Google won't let me do what I want) with the basic page being (for Google):

has all my Preferences but doesn't need any cookies. To eliminate some sites I have in SuperKeys the following, put in with 2 keystroke (#-) to the unwanted words:

¡Vebay ¡V"compare prices" ¡Vcompare ¡Vamazon ¡Vbizrate ¡Vkelkoo ¡Vdooyoo ¡Vpricerunner ¡Vshopzilla ¡Vnextag ¡Vshoppingcentre ¡Vfreebytes ¡Vmedusa ¡Vteloos ¡V"192.com" ¡V"shop.com" ¡Vbetterdeals ¡V"ec21.com" ¡V"price comparison" ¡Vpricemate ¡V"ciao.com" ¡Vkellysearch ¡Vfastfinders ¡Vchoiceful ¡Vshopwiki

Then Google tels me: ""shopwiki" (and any subsequent words) was ignored because we limit queries to 32 words." and that's why I use Yahoo!

Reply to
PeterC

Hmm install "nautilus-gksu" from the package manager

-
Reply to
Mark

Or just type "gksudo nautilus" in a terminal window.

Reply to
Huge

true, but he is a "cant remember how to" so this is my "cant forget" never rings me again solution. :)

_
Reply to
Mark