TOT please don't let your dogs roam

We haven't found the dog yet, despite looking at the CCTV.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

No, there was evidence in the field that a dog had been in. Another sheep injured, signs of a struggle, damage to a fence.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

At one point it was back on its feet, but it remained dead.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

So, what about that says 'dog', not 'fox'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm a bit out of touch with the current regulations but I don't think you are allowed to bury farm animals.

main concern is spread of disease and probably not relevant here.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Foxes will take a new-born lamb but that's about it. When the mother is on her feet she will soon sort out a fox. A sheep will see a fox off any day.

Reply to
harry

In the rural community there's what's been did and what's been hid.

Reply to
harry

Less easy in these days of animal identification, movement records and notification of births and deaths.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Look for a big cat instead

Reply to
The Other Mike

Does Defra apply any common sense to where an animal may have succumbed? Tramping around a field in middle England looking for a missing animal is one thing but that's not always practical in other areas. Say a sheep has fallen of a cliff it's highly likely that the carcass could never be found. Some bureaucrat is probably working on a compulsory ear worn transponder to be fitted at great expense.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

DEFRA couldn't care less. After all, it's the Department for the Elimination of FaRming Absolutely

Reply to
charles

not a dead sheep.. ..i've seen dead sheep being hauled out of a filed by a dheep farmer. Just died of whatever.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My Grace would have butchered it for your Grace, and even pulled this thread vaguely back on topic.

Graham.

Damien Hurst could make more money from it than a vet......

Reply to
ARW

What the eye don't see the heart don't grieve.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Because lawmaking is done by city folk, country folk have to 'interpret' things for themselves sometimes.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Last week on one of the farms I work on I was most delighted to see a dead cow been dragged down the road by a tractor. It had died overnight, was removed from the barn and brought into isolation. A vet attended not long after and a couple of hours later the corpse was taken away by a firm that deals with such things.

I assume this one needed a record of death as it was supposed to be prime beef.

And the other farm (derelict) needs something to catch rats. I went there the other night at about 7pm to pick up some tools. I saw about 30 rats as I drove into the property. I might take my parents Border Terrier there one night. The buggers just swarmed across the driveway. If I see 30 rats then how many are out of sight?

Reply to
ARW

All the better for pies.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

What a waste of good protein for the local fauna

Reply to
geoff

Na, just some nice lamb curry recipes...

Reply to
John Rumm