TOT: one for you scientists

Not necessarily. A point that may be overlooked is that ice doesn't absorb the 'microwave' radiation as effectively as water. So more power may be reflected until such time as enough ice melts to increase the rate of heat input accepted by the peas.

And I'm far from sure the absorbtion is due to a resonant line of the water.

So experiment may be a better guide than some of the theories I've seen here.

Slainte,

Jim

Reply to
Jim Lesurf

I have eaten peas in pods from s'mkt, peas picked straight off the plant and frozen peas.

The worst is on pod in supermarkets. Tasteless.

The best is straight off the plants. Frozen are a good second best.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I experimented yesterday, using sprouts not peas. They actually took the same time without water as with. The problem doing them without water was that the heating was uneven. There were boiling bits and still frozen bits side by side.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I find a pocket calculator handy when I go in Sainsburys.

Reply to
Ian Field

And a carrier bag for all the crappy bits of paper they shove at you at the till.

Reply to
polygonum

That's about all their feeble carrier bags can carry!

Reply to
Ian Field

In message , Bill Wright writes

If you microwave fresh sprouts without water, you tend to fry the outer leaves, with the inside uncooked. Even when reheating cooked sprouts, you can fry the outer leaves if you blast them with full power.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I wonder whether they were frozen in the experiment? I imagine both have very different properties to peas.

Reply to
polygonum

Every uW oven I've seen has a defrost function - which usually just switches it on & off for the programmed duration.

IMO this damages the magnetron - the anode voltage is there instantly, but the heater takes a sec', the not quite hot heater has no space charge - so it strips the cathode coating.

I've seen a uW oven with a separate heater transformer - whether they used this to keep the heater on all the time during defrost is another matter.

Reply to
Ian Field

I concur.

Used to use JS as a main source. Now go almost everywhere else and only use them for a few things only they do.

I object to having to walk from one end of the row of tills to the other to find one that is open. Finding open tills for their self-checkout totally unused and yet not a single basket till open. Etc. Plus their car park is horrible.

Reply to
polygonum

well why NOT ignore what most of us have been saying here, that EXPERIMENT shows the peas need no extra water, will defrost and cook in pure microwaves and take a couple of minutes at full power? And don't lose any flavour to the water, which is now nonexistent.

ALL veg cooks remarkably well in a microwave. There is enough water in veg to do the job, they get warmed from the inside out, and all you have to do to avoid drying out is use a covered dish. Only if you want a hot dry crust, do you need to use externally applied heat, like chips or roast potatoes or parsnips.

In short if you are boiling or streaming veg, don't. Microwave em instead for better results.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hmm, I'm not sure our 33 year old microwave fits with your theory though. Mostly used for defrosting and not cooking and still going strong.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

frozen peas.

+1. "Fresh" peas in the pod are anything but by the time they reach supermarket shelves. Either grow your own or buy frozen.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The slice of bread trick demonstrates this - inside out toast!

Reply to
Ian Field

Just don't do it with Eccles Cakes or Chocolate Bars (fire risk!).

Martin Brown

Eggs are fun.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh yes you do (spoken as a true sprout lover)! [How many weeks to Christmas, BTW.]

Reply to
Ian Jackson

then you didnt cover then with plastic sheet

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I use small bowls, covered with pyrex lids.

Reply to
S Viemeister