TOT: Modern car lights: reasoning?

So you mean to say that this marvel of modern engineering is in fact a failed design exercise? Oh well, it's not mine.

Reply to
Richard

Generally IMO it's a triumph of design over properly executed engineering!

Reply to
Capitol

And anyhow; being rear-ended will unload the rear wheels a bit, so you'd be effectively wheel-barrowed into the car in front, if you get hit hard enough.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Reply to
Chris French

In message , Chris French writes

Reply to
Ian Jackson

On 21/09/2014 12:32, "Nightjar

Reply to
polygonum

Brake lights is a relatively recent term isn't it ? Stop lamps was the name used for years so that raises the question should that be correct when you are stopped or is to warn that you may be soon.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

When I first switched to a car with HIDs I did notice being flashed when I was on dipped, now I think people are a bit more used to them (or maybe resigned to them?) and I very rarely get flashed now.

What other response would you like, to prove I wasn't on full-beam?

I watch them self-level each time they're turned on, I know they have passed MOT, have never been mentioned as needing any adjustment on servicing advisories.

Reply to
Andy Burns

(snip)

One of our cars has adaptive lights with "high beam assistant".

I keep those features turned off.

The adaptive part changes the light pattern according to speed and front wheel angle change. In practice, I do not like it.

High beam assistant; well the handbook list for when it is *not* practicable to use is three times as long as the list for when it *is* a good idea to turn it on.... It stays off.

David

Reply to
David

(snip)

Sadly, that is the attitude of many drivers.

David

Reply to
David

In message , charles writes

Reply to
bert

In message , Chris French writes

Reply to
bert

On 21/09/2014 18:05, polygonum wrote: ...

Provided I go to a garage that has the necessary link to the manufacturer's computer system (which does not necessarily mean a dealer, but does rule out some back street garages) they get a complete listing of everything that has been done to the car so far and everything that needs to be updated.

Reply to
Nightjar

Ah. GIGO!

Reply to
Capitol

On 21/09/2014 14:35, Chris French wrote: ...

Have you never wondered why mobile road works outside a built-up area always have a massive impact absorbing buffer on the back of the rear vehicle, in addition to its flashing yellow lights and huge directional arrow?

Reply to
Nightjar

Because you and your car were not available as the ultimate high vis stationary obstacle?

Reply to
Richard

IOW, you think they should put a mild, temporary inconvenience to a driver who might be behind them and who is unduly sensitive to glare before their own safety?

Reply to
Nightjar

My parking brake works alright, but is basically hopeless. Requires about 5 clicks to hold on a proper slope, which is probably about the point it would make any difference in a shunt - and, of course, I wouldn't pull it up that far at junctions as it's hard work to pull it that far.

Reply to
Scott M

So, no, your parking brake doesn't work. Whether that's due to a design flaw or poor condition is another question.

Reply to
Adrian

You have a better system?

Reply to