TOT Insurance

I phoned up to get some motor insurance and got the scripted hard sell for additional cover.

Approx 10 seconds of conversation: sales rep : "We can offer the extra benefits for £29". me: "No thank you" sales rep : "I can discount it to £20"

As I and others have commented on before all the quotes start off being approx 30% high until you change insurance companies or are not prepared to accept the first price.

Reply to
alan

GoCompare etc everytime.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

but not much good for the "legal cover" add on

I doubt that you could get it separately at less than the costs of an add on even at an inflated price

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Don't think they include Direct line or Aviva, the latter of which I've found to be pretty good.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

"I'd like to renew my House Insurance, please".

"We can offer you Contents Insurance at £186"

"But that's what I pay my current insurer anyway, do you have a better price than that?"

"No"

"TTFN!"

Reply to
Terry Fields

You may have the same cover with house insurance, a bank account, trade union membership, or in my case as part of a benefits package provided by my employer.

I wonder how many people are paying 2 or 3 times for this type of extra insurance?

Reply to
alan

I always have legal cover as part of the deal, it really don't cost that much extra. Hasting Direct once tried to shit all over me for a no blame bump. Thankfully I had legal cover. NEVER again will I use that shower of absolute wankers.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

RBS is Direct line. I will look on 3 sites. Confused.com is Admiral and is shit.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I thought they'd sold it.

Reply to
charles

Dunno.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Well, sometimes. I have just renewed my insurance. The expiring policy is with M&S. Last year it was cheaper than the previous insurer. Not the lowest, but it included all the things I need, particularly full european cover for 90 days, and the breakdown cover, although not essential only made £30 difference so I included it. Renewal this year was £100 more. And it was even higher when I put the same details into the price comparison sites. But I found two companies with a better offer, though still £50 more than last year. Phoned M&S checked all the details, mention mileage might be 6,000 rather than

5,000 this year and the reneal premium qoted went up another £100! So now insured with LV.

What annoys me most is the time all this search for quotes and checkig the fine print every year takes. It's consumed several hours every evening for a week.

Reply to
djc

In message , djc writes

+1
Reply to
bert

Everything is now expected to be bartered for in this manner, everything that is except money you are owed by someone else.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Last year my buildings and content insurance went up by about a couple of quid for the same cover; this year it went down a quid or so. It wasn't worth the work to reduce from about £155 as much cheaper and the cover/service would decrease also (Age UK, BTW).

Reply to
PeterC

Double-glazing company: Are you the householder? Me: Yes.

Double-glazing company: We are offering ZZZ for only XXX

Me: Can I interest you in renting a flat?

Reply to
Windmill

Fine if you circumstance are simple and you're not fussy about the level of cover you have. I can usually beat the premiums offerred by price comparison sites using an insurance broker (or going direct)

*and* get a lower excess and/or better cover.

I agree with others here who are fed up with the time taken but you can save a decent amount.

Reply to
Mark

I've always turned down paying for 'legal cover' - not ever having needed to involve a solicitor in some 40 years driving. And obviously a few accidents - but non major. So I'm not quite sure what it's for? Seems to me just another damp proof course type thingie.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Direct line decided to put up my house insurance some 300%. Been with them for years - and never claimed. No subsidence or anything like that round here. When asked, they muttered something about rising costs and inflation.

If they really can allow *their* costs to rise by 300% in one year I'm better elsewhere. Absolutely no other company could be so inefficient.

I also had both cars insured with them too. They tried a similar trick with them.

So I'm now with different insurers for all of them.

A company that drives away a good customer - always pays on time and never claims - is simply mad. And deserves to fail.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A few years ago, an Adrian Flux rep. told me that they included various 'additions' in the price for the car insurance premium.

When I got the paperwork, it turned out they had charged an extra £29 for them, and I hadn't wanted any of them anyway. I did tell the rep. at the time, but he said that they were free....

David

Reply to
David

"Dave Plowman (News)" posted

When I had a claim against somebody for a collision several years ago, I started off using my "legal cover", which was a company called DAS. They were worse than useless. Nothing whatever happened until I sacked them and took over the claim myself; then the other insurance company paid up within a couple of weeks.

Reply to
Big Les Wade