TOT: HTML/css trick to selectively display parts of page

Its OK to do the latter IF your pages are going to a known audience.e.g. intranet stuff.

Otherwise, yes, dangerous to rely on it, but increasingly less so as time marches on.

MANY commercial sites depend on it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So a retrograde step in all senses :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher ( snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid) wibbled on Friday 04 February

2011 11:34:

Right - outside - now!

;->

Anyway, everyone knows PHP is for webdoods who can't handle real programming.

Hey - you started it!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Mike Barnes ( snipped-for-privacy@bluebottle.com) wibbled on Friday 04 February 2011

11:08:

It can be done with any hosting that either supports mod_perl (a few better ones) or CGI (anything that isn't rubbish).

Reply to
Tim Watts

PHP sucks little green toads, because it mixes presentation, programming logic and data all in one file. It's about as far away from structured programming as it's possible to get, and makes Perl look pretty good by comparison.

Of course, Perl looks like transmission line noise ...

Reply to
Huge

I agree that PHP is a crap noddy language, clsoely related to BASIC, but at least it is faintly comprehensible.

PERL is simply a way for people who like obfuscation to spend ages writing code no one can understand.

Thus keeping them in employment they should never have been in to start with ;-)

15 all.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And what's to frigging great about 'structured programming' anyway?

Anyway, that's a state of mind, not something built into a language.

Yep. Pots of Extraneous Redundant Linguistics.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, that's APL.

Or TECO.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Alas the inability to separate the presentation away from the business logic was something that was entrenched with PHP... the situation may have improved in recent years, but when I last looked seriously at finding a suitable architecture for a large web based server application, this ruled it out for us. (ended up going the Tomcat/J2EE/JSP route in the end)

Reply to
John Rumm

Tim Watts :

Good. I have Apache with mod_perl running here. Can you point me to a "Hello World" page that I could use to check Embperl and Mason out?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

APL - the world's only "write only" programming language.

"Control-] is not a TECO command."

Reply to
Huge

Huge wrote: [snip]

Dang you got there before me. I spent about five years programming statistical applications in APL. I couldn't understand a single one when I returned to them a year later.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Some of my Perl is like that. I love the language but it does seem to consist mainly of side-effects. I *have* programmed in LISP and I suspect that some of my code would likely be incomprehensible to me now.

I've never actually used APL.

Reply to
Huge

I know exactly what you mean and I experience the same thing myself, but I really don't see it as a problem. If I'm going back to my old code I need to understand it completely. Many languages allow me to achieve a superficial understanding quite quickly but that's not really good enough. I'm quite happy to invest the time unpicking my old code to make sure I understand it properly before I start tinkering. Of course it helps that I anticipate this need by writing neat code with meaningful names, and comments for the aspects that I know might not be obvious some time later.

On the other hand if someone else has to understand the code, that's a completely different kettle of fish. Fortunately that's hardly ever the case with the stuff I write.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Pretty well the only thing that isn't!

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's kind-of the point. :o|

Reply to
Huge

I know.....I have been using TECO again recently[1]. I always knew it was a good idea to learn it, all those year ago...

[1] On OS/8...
Reply to
Bob Eager

I like Perl, but I keep it very simple and often use a more verbose form when it would be possible to code in fewer characters.

I do occasionally think that leaning on the shift key and hitting the number keys randomly would produce a working program.

Reply to
Clive George

The Natural Philosopher ( snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid) wibbled on Friday 04 February

2011 13:46:

At least you aren't trying to expound python or ruby!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Mike Barnes ( snipped-for-privacy@bluebottle.com) wibbled on Friday 04 February 2011

14:57:

Install HTML::Mason

and the rest starts from here (it's pretty easy to get going)

Tim Watts