TOT How to run a successfully pub

First, increase the prices to be the most expensive in the area.

Second, change the paint scheme on the outside of the pub from a mock Tudor style with fake beams, which is a local landmark, to Army Khaki.

Third, re-brand the pub as a wine warehouse with an illuminated sign.

Fourth, employ an a blind interior designer who has never visited a real pub.

Fifth, drape the "pub" with banners saying it is now a Thai Restaurant.

Sixth, make all the customers invisible to the bar staff.

Result: 50% of the pub sectioned off for the restaurant that on a Saturday night had a grand total of zero customers and the two dozen pub customers having trouble being served by the 4 bar staff who are having a social event themselves at the end of the bar.

Well done Greene King, keep up the good work with your pub improvements.

Note: this was once a busy pub in bed-sit land where people have nothing better to do than visit the pub - that's until the GK decided to go up market.

Reply to
alan

It's part of a greater plan - to render it seemingly unprofitable and then provide the excuse to knock it down and replace by flats. Been done here, two popular pubs refurbished and pulled to the ground not shortly after :-(

Reply to
Adrian C

Yes, similar plan goes round here. The interveneing phase is it stands empty derelict and subject to vandalism for a few years.

Also village shops, garages and post offices bought up cheap by wuzzers prepared to chance it with the planners. Round here, converted to posh residences.

Reply to
harryagain

This sounds like a classic case of not researching your market before you commit yourself. well, in the current climate you do not get second chances I guess. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes it does look like that, maybe somebody needs to research if the chain has a property development subsidiary.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

From my recent visits to UK, sell to Tesco to make a Tesco Metro convenience store?

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Meanwhile *spoons goes from strength to strength. Have dined in Whitstable and Stowmarket in the last week, and found both to be superbly run with "interesting" design concepts

Reply to
stuart noble

On Sunday 23 June 2013 10:57 stuart noble wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And Table Table, the "pseudo pub" chain that are found next to a Premier Inn (providing the breakfasts and meals) are a joy.

Despite being completely fake, the design and loyout of the one at Polegate, Sussex, is really nice (the fakery is quite tasteful and interesting) and the staff helpful - and clearly some "locals" go there too, despite it being the unglamourous setting of a local service station.

So unless GK are a complete bunch of inept 'tards, I suspect their game plan is long term redevelopment as others have suggested.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In article , Tim Watts scribeth thus

I've never been impressed with their beer/s they are IMHO rather bland and indistinct. There is a local brewery who are acquiring a few pubs and here in Cambridge have recently opened another, well saved another from redevelopment, the Greyhound and Rosemary branch will soon have exec flats on them as have a few other pub sites in the city.....

and hopefully soon to open another in fact rebuild one!..

tony sayer

En el artículo , Tony Bryer escribió:

Private Eye ran a wonderful cartoon some time ago with the three-legged aliens from War of the Worlds blasting their way through the land, mit Tesco logo.

Been trying to find a copy since.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

My son says the local one in Herne Bay is rubbish...crusted cod was mostly crust, and overcooked.

He is a trainee chef, mind...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Greene King have been buying up loss making pubs for years. I think they have about 1600 now.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Superb fish and chips on the seafront as I recall. The Russian waitress was rather tasty too

Reply to
stuart noble

Ask her, she's probly on the game too...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

A Tesco Metro convenience store with flats over.

Very popular with planners; they get more housing, more shops, more jobs (or at least displaced jobs) as well as new conservatories.

Only joking about the conservatories, obviously.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Best chips, anyway, are in Canterbury. City Fish Bar in St Margarets Street.

Herne Bay... Nice restaurant just off the seafront, up the side of the Ship Inn, at the eastern end. Called Riggings. Family run, three course set meal (with choices) for 11 quid.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thats happened to a few pubs around here.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The planners get the conservatories, shirley?

JGH

Reply to
jgh

The Cricketers on the corner of Milton road by any chance?

Reply to
John Rumm

Gosh you must live in a posh place - it's Aldi around here.

Reply to
bert