TOT; Glad I'm a handyman

Agreed. And if there is a message banged home endlessly by cop programs and books - the first few hours are critical in determining the chances of doing so. Whether or not that too is fiction is another matter but it certainly seems feasible. Unless, of course, you go to Waking the Dead or New Tricks when ten or more years waiting around seem essential.

Reply to
polygonum

Is that the NVQ or the Foundation Degree course?

Well, the victim isn't going to get any deader, and in *most* cases the murderer isn't going to do another murder immediately.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It might be an emergency trying to prevent one, but after it's happened? And why was this policeman so important to the case he just had to work for 19 hours - when the chances are he was knackered and very likely to make mistakes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Requiring one policeman to work a 19 hour shift? And likely making mistakes through fatigue?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

...and if they have had a bang on the head or a chemical imbalance, that is causing there 'illness', which causes a personality change?

There are gazzilions (slight hyperbole there) of TV programmes that show people hurt and in pain where the mindset is one of protect myself from EVERYONE (even people trying to give aid) much like a drowning man will try to 'climb on' someone who is trying to save him, so drowning them both.

Reply to
soup

The officers that make an arrest have to complete some of the paperwork (about 5 hours' worth) themselves. However, a lot of the background paperwork is already done by civilians.

The Winsor reports have made returning police officers to the streets, from office roles, a priority. Perhaps they could fit blue lights to mobility carts.

Reply to
Howard Neil

"But sarge, I need to get this done now before my three days off. While it's fresh in my mind. No I'm not just stretching out the overtime" "Honest"

Reply to
JTM

Quite - and then get the sympathy from the family. ;-)

Are the police and other emergency services exempt from the EU working directive - even when not on an emergency? 11 hours (worked, not including breaks) is the law. And rightly so.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The working time directive allows for longer shifts if required by circumstances. Or, at least, the bits that apply to mobile workers do.

In the case mentioned, I'd say that it's better for the policeman to work the long shift and make up his rest later. As I read the report here, he was near the end of his shift when the arrest happened, and notes and paperwork need to be done in a timely fashion, or the arrested person could come up with all sorts of excuses later which might prejudice the case, as could any delay in the policeman writing up his notes.

There is also the possibility, not mentioned, that the policeman (And a lot of paramedics, ambulance workers, firemen and so on), had been on standby for most of their shifts, and in that case, the point about the working time directive is irrelevant. At this sort of event, there are many emergency workers held in reserve in case of problems, and a typical work pattern for the police when I've been involved is for them to go to a holding area, then each group of policemen will do a number short periods of scheduled work and be on standby for the rest of their shift. Admittedly, my direct experience of this is limited to the time of the Brixton Riots and the Miners' strikes, but the principle still seems to hold.

Reply to
John Williamson

So, if you got burgled & stabbed, would you be happy with a recorded message saying "all or police & paramedics are on their break now, please call later"?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No. There should be an adequate number of staff to cover this sort of common event - not relying on fewer numbers working excessive hours.

Or perhaps you think it ok to work a 19 hour shift?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm sue they had enough to cover the event, 12 hour shifts are common in the police & ambulance services.

The arresting officer has to do all the reports & stuff - otherwise the defense lawyers would have a field day. Had the incident occurred just after the start of his shift, the 19 hours wouldn't have happened.

Policemen & paramedics can't just go home when the shift ends.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

So above the median and more than double the winimum wage.

And everyone else is untrained, does not care and has no experience of their job?

More chance of death at work in the construction industry than the ambulance or police service.

Reply to
ARW

Not all police jobs are front line. I'd say it's you who don't understand.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

No, but there aren't anywhere near enough that aren't for every ex-plod in the 55-65 age range to have one.

Reply to
tim.....

And your solution would be ... ?

Reply to
Another John

How many are there? Enough for the 55-60yo perhaps? And hasn't the health of the population improved since they set 55?

Only retired copper I know races small boats. That implies a reasonable level of fitness.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Man at B&Q

In article , Man at B&Q scribeth thus

You can find prats everywhere even on uk.d-i-y .....

Reply to
tony sayer

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon