TOT Experian

If you sign up, at £14-99 a month, for the Experian report does your credit rating improve? If you cancel after the 30 day free trial does the score go down?

My CC company offers me free access to my credit score but not report. However, as my score is high I'm not worried about the details.

Reply to
alan_m

No it does not affect your score. I signed up for a trial after the Halifax nominated a credit rating as the reason my internet application for a credit card wasn't progressed.

They simply tell you what your status is accounts wise and list any points against One.

The result informed me that the Halifax were a bunch of disgusting liars who nominated Experian as a substitute for their inability to operate their web applications properly.

When I finally wrung an apology out of the liars, they were supposed to give £25-00 to charity, needless to say the thieving scumbags kept the cash themselves.

The other thing I learnt about Experian is that they do not list overseas accounts, so presumably if you are going to go into debt, do it in dollars or Euro.

I did pay briefly for monthly reports, but nothing changed and the only thing popping up was the odd phone account being opened, so I saved my cash and terminated, as borrowing money meant that I have to hand over my money to people that are at least as bone idle as those dole scroungers are reputed to be, I would prefer my money went to the dole scroungers and not someone with his Porche parked up in the Halifax directors car park or similar. A lot of people on the Dole get proper jobs & produce things anyway.

No change to the score I assume anyway.

Methinks there is something morally wrong about a company being employed by institutions to give details of potential clients, then offering those clients a means to "improve their credit score". There is the taint of a rodent to this practice.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

I would hope not ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Try Clearscore - its free and AIR pulls its data from Experian.

I signed up a few months back when I was told a 'poor credit report' had influenced the opening of a bank account and that they had checked on Experian. I had a good score and the only search that was registered was the one the bank *subsequently* made when I complained. They then opened the account.

Reply to
Mark Allread

You can get the basic credit report and fraud monitoring for a lot less tha n that - which they will offer you if you phone up to cancel your £14.

99

You can also probably reclaim a portion of the £14.99 charge if it inc ludes insurance which you may have been mis-sold.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

You can see your credit report without signing up for extras such as Experian's "Credit Expert" service. When I wanted to see my Experian report, I paid ?2:

More info here:

pamela

I have to say that these do seem a bit like nicking the silver then flogging it back to the person you nicked it from in the first place This is I think known as value added services. Halifax, Lloyds again innit? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The very same, furthermore I had accounts with both, the Halifax going back to privatisation days [I think I ended up with £70-00]

So I was more than irritated when they sent the standard web message suggesting my credit score was at fault. Not a good idea on my part, but I did see it as a personal affront. I would have made £25-00 from the complaint if I hadn't told them to stuff their cash and give it to charity. As I heard nothing afterward I can only assume the thieving scumbags kept it.

At least I have one less account to keep track of!

Methinks the latest TV ads for one of those services showing youngsters frolicking in a very carefree way as a result no doubt of credit score tuning, is somewhat misleading.

Carefree and finding ways to go into debt easier are not really compatable!

AB AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

I applied for a credit card with the P.O. they had a good deal going with I believe, 24 months interest free. When I filled in forms I could not find out what the credit limit was, so did not fully apply. I then had a phone call from the P.O. asking me if I was going to agree to a credit agreement, in the end the credit limit was not enough and I had to use the card within a set period for the 24 months to kick in. I then found out that I have a mark against me on my credit reference because I had applied and not taken the card deal.

Reply to
critcher

A credit check counts against One, makes shopping around a bit of a problem.

Apparently getting a loan from Wonga also drags the score down.

I suspect that the credit limits were limited because of the ridiculous levels attached to credit cards a few years back. Card use was encouraged [along with interest payments], hence the automatic raising of credit limits after any few purchases.

This changed, I think around twelve years back, I know I had a right intensive Q&A session with First Direct when I wanted a 10K limit on my visa card. As far as I know, the limit still stands, it never increased.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Not always - there's a "lite" check that has no effect.

That makes perfect sense. If you are that stupid/desperate, you should not be borrowing any more.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Does it make sense ?. I must admit I'm not sure what the credit score is meant to show having never checked mine as I haven;t had a credit card in 30 years. I thought the higher yuor score the more gulable and stupid you were because you keep having to take out loans and pay back interest.

I;'ve not given CC cards any intrest in 30+ years so what will my score be.... low I'd assume as no CC company has made money out of me.

Does that make me a high or low risk ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

CC counts as a loan, even if you pay it off in time for no interest, so it counts in your favour. Because you thus have a good record for paying your loans off in time, you'll probably have a nice high score = low risk.

Reply to
Clive George

If you have not had any credit in 30+ years (credit card, loan, mortgage, Mobile phone, overdraft) the cc card people wont know anything at all about you. Even though you may be a millionaire they would initially regard you as high risk, until proven otherwise. Doesn't necessarily mean you wouldn't be able to get a cc, but you would probably not be offered the "Typical APR", but one much higher in the first instance

Reply to
Chris B

Yep, Mortgage paid off a few years back.

I use my credit card a lot and then always pay off the full amount each month.

No other loans for 20+ years

I have a very high Experian score

Reply to
alan_m

Sorry it looks like I misread the original post "I;'ve not given CC cards any intrest in 30+ years" as "I have not had any interest in CC in

30+ years".
Reply to
Chris B

I was told the opposite . As no one has lent money to me and got it back I will have a low credit score. If I borrow on a regular basis say I take a a loan to pay for a cup of coffee then pay it back with interest that gives me a higher score, because they make a profit from me. If I default on a payment but make it good again that's an even higher score. The people with the highest aka better scores are those that stay in debt to creditors, the more in debt the higher the4 percentage. This is why germany likes lending to Greece and other countries so they have have cash to buy opals and VWs.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I had a mortgage but they see that differnty as it;'s a lage sellable asset usually.

yes someone that can pay off debts without incurring charges is a high risk of them making zero profit.

I never said I couldn't it's been offered and the offer goes where wodney flushes his brains. ;-)

but you would

the ones through the post seemed to have a preset APR and I wasn't aware that a APR is tailered to a person rather than a lender setting it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

If you have a CC and pay it off before interest is due, you have been loaned money even though you might not have paid for it.

So you were told wrong.

FWIW like alan_m the only form of loan I have amy more is my CC, paid off monthly without incurring interest, and my credit score is perfect.

Reply to
Clive George

When I hear that from someone that works in a bank I'll listen again. Whether things have change since the early 90s I don;t know. I have no idea what my score is.

didnlt think that was a CC label but well done I assume yuo've paid a CC compmany an annual fee for your card well done. I have no intention of paying an annual fee for this service.

Reply to
whisky-dave