TOT: driving other vehicles on car/van insurance

Thinking of buying a new motor, natch want to test-drive it before parting with wonga so checked insurance. Car is insured to SWMBO with me as named driver: she can drive any other vehicle but not test-drive. On my CV insurance I can't even drive other veh. Since The Boss is not the world's most confident driver (won't even go on motorways) if we had to drive someone else's vehicle in an emergency it would be me who'd probably have to do it but I'm not allowed to. (OK so we could phone up other person's Ins Co and get me put on temporarily but if it's 10 o'clock on a Sunday evening ...)

Anyone know of either CV policies which do allow you to drive other vehs or car policies which treat partners equally?

(As for the test drive that looks totally out of court but again maybe some insurers are more flexible about that?)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Hi

I don't know of any insurance policy that allows named drivers to drive other cars. I guess it would be open to abuse?

What do you mean by "she can drive any other vehicle but not test- drive" - that's a bit puzzling?

With regard to your test drive - if it is arranged through a dealer, you will be covered by their insurance. They will either ask you to sign a disclaimer confirming that you will pay any excess if you have an accident, or they will take a credit card swipe to cover the excess.

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

Best way seems to get the owner to take you out in it and watch what happens .Get him/her to drive in various areas at different speeds etc...slow down on a hill and get him/her to pull away in a highish gera and check if clutch slips .. .Do an "emergency" stop in a safe place .etc etc

Reply to
Stuart B

I've not checked the small print in their policy, but you might want to try something like this:

are others, too - just google for them.

Styx

Reply to
Styx

One of the funniest ones I came across was just such a form for a courtesy car from an accident repair company. The form was preprinted with a declaration that you've not been involved in an accident in the last 5 years. I crossed out several such sections and gave it back to them. "No one's ever done that before" was the response I got.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It's important to make a statement on behalf of the individual rather than accepting all these disclaimers.

Did they give you the car though?

Reply to
Andy Hall

It's pretty common to allow named drivers to drive other cars on a third party only cover basis. I've also seen 'in an emergency' clauses.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Same as mine. Can't help but wonder why we are considered a risk since a car is safer to drive (no blind spots).

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes. Strangely, the insurance was a fixed price, and it didn't matter what declarations you did or didn't make, so I couldn't see any point in making any.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Playing the numbers game?

In other words, most people would sign something like this without reading it. Then a (probably small) proportion will have a ding. Out comes disclaimer - chugting.

Insurance = slightly fancy name for bookies operation

Re-insurance = laying off bets

Futures trading = technical term for bookmaking

Car insurer = apprentice bookie

Reply to
Andy Hall