TOT. Cool or what?

So, despite being an old(ish) fart - I have QR tags on my van and a Medway Handyman Facebook Page!

Apparently, getting 'likes' is a good thing, so feel free!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Medway Handyman :

I don't quite see the point of those. I find it better to just take a photo, which is easier, more reliable, less risky[1], and gives you much more information.

[1] Watch out for some chancer pasting a malware URL over your QR code.
Reply to
Mike Barnes

In message , Mike Barnes writes

There's an idea. I wonder if it could be adapted for those idiot

*munzee* caches? >
Reply to
Tim Lamb

And do any phone support QR tags without downloading an app? Now an NFC tag is a differnt matter, my phone supports NFC "out of the box".

And NFC tags can be set to "read only".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I don't get it really, what is the point of Facebook?

To generate advertising revenue for the owners and mine data fore selling I assume much like Google.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yep.

And for the unwary give a nice resource for potential employers on what a person is *really* like, not what they have on their CV or introductory letter. B-) Or for the authorities to use in evidence etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It is pretty good for getting in touch with and keeping in touch with various friends who you have lost touch with or who have emigrated.

I'd never think of using it to look up a company though.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Neither do I to be honest, but part of my market live & breath via smartphone and would be highly impressed that I have them :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

A lot of companies use Twitter, I have used it to make contact and found it a lot quicker to get a reply than by 'Contact Us'. It is a lot less confusing than FB., well for me anyway.

My impression is that Twitter is more for grown-ups and Facebook for teenagers.

mark

Reply to
mark

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that but I think companies are very aware of the speed with which bad press can "go viral" on Twitter and consequently spend more time and effort of responding to problems that way than they do responding to more private communications.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Example: I have recently been researching shower cubicles and found a pivot door cubicle on bathempire.com. Same photo used for all sizes of cubicle. I needed to establish if the door of the size I wanted would clonk on to a nearby towel radiator. Door doesn't pivot from the edge, so not a matter of width=radius.

I asked via twitter if they had a technical drawing so that I could establish the door swing measurements. Answer in minutes: got a drawing for you let us have your email address. Eventually got email, thank you very much for contacting us via twitter....drg attached. Scrolling down the email was their internal messages including: 'got a customer asking awkward questions on Twitter...' '...I'll come up and see you..' Twitter gets them jumping around!

Incidentally found same cubicle with same photo, on Amazon considerably cheaper, and ordered it.

mark

Reply to
mark

How do they organise themselves? Do they follow no-one and just wait for the odd tweet to come in? Otherwise I could see it being a pain, having to wade through a lot of stuff and risking missing one that needs attention.

Reply to
Tim Streater

They don't get that many tweets. Have a look yourself if this lets you without having sign in:

mark

Reply to
mark

My impression is that Twitter is more for grown-ups and Facebook for teenagers. mark No: facebook is for teenagers, and twitter is for teenagers who got older, but never grew up at all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Facebook is for the older people so they can discover what their children are doing.

Reply to
charles

Kids are too savvy these days to share everything on FB, or at least, mine are. I just see what they want me to see. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Facebook is good for receiving private messages from stalkers without anyone knowing..

Far better than the good old days when she put messages in the "personal section" of the Barnsley Chronicle for everyone to read.

Reply to
ARW