TOT:Busybox Linux

Sorry if this is too arcane, but I know some of yous is clever folks, and could at least point me in the right direction ...

I have a Sumvision Cyclone MKV media player, which runs on Busybox. I am trying to access the filesystem, via SMB from another machine. I can log into the box as root, using TELNET, and see the various .conf files, but when I try and use Ubuntu to connect with username "root" domain "mygroup" and a blank password, I just get bounced, as if the password was wrong.

Does anyone know how to achieve that. Eventually I want to be able to "push" media files to a USB stick on the player, rather than use the player itself. ' Also, I have managed to flash a slightly incorrect version of firmware onto the player. The version I have expects to find an HDD attached, which the player doesn't have. So I get a message when I power on, and if I don't cancel it in 5 seconds, the player reboots. Is the a way I can trick the firmware into thinking there is a HDD present, or alternatively, not to check for it ?

Heavy googling can't seem to find anything close - not even AVForums ...

here's hoping !

Reply to
Jethro

not sure samba supports a root username or a blank password.

have a look in /etc/smb.conf to see what is allowed. smbpasswd is the way to set a password for samba.

so if root is an allowable user use smbpasswd root to set its password.

probably remove the entry in /etc/mnttab

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Probably safer re-flashing back to native firmware see

startup configuration is read only and would require the firmware to be unpacked and then re-built - not for the faint hearted.

Busybox is the embedded external shell commands (busybox.net) application, not the linux distro. These boxes are built round the Realtek media centre chipset, probably RTL1073 (IIRC), maybe the earlier one. Much of the firmware is out there in various forms but not the main media centre application which is closed source.

A USB drive plugged in should be mounted as an SMB share by default (it is on my MKV2 enclosure), shows up in \\VENUS as typed into explorer (VENUS is the REALTEK chipset name) and mounted in /tmp/usbmounts if you can get TELNET access.

YMMV as it is not the same box, but they all seem to be similar.

HTH

Chris K

Reply to
Chris K

In that case, I'll live with it. The original firmware could not be more crap if it tried.

It is an RTL 1073 based device

I can get TELNET access - and crawl all over the filesystem ... however I can't access \\VENUS.

From Ubuntu, I can try to "Connect to server" as "Windows Share" in Nautilus using the IP Address. I definitely connect, but just can't seem to get credentials sorted. I can post the smb.conf file, although there are a few .conf files in the \tmp\smb folder.

Trying from windows also fails, although looking in \tmp\ramfs\volumes, there is a "D:" folder which is the root of a USB stick I have plugged in. And there is a [D] section in the smb.conf.

Reply to
Jethro

here's the smb.conf ... don't appear to have the smbpasswd command available

[global] security=share log file=/usr/local/samba/var/log.%m max log size=2000 domain logons=Yes dns proxy=No use sendfile=yes guest account=root encrypt passwords=yes passdb backend=smbpasswd socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192 read raw=yes write raw=yes oplocks=yes max xmit=65535 dead time=15 getwd cache=yes lpq cache=30 read prediction=yes client NTLMv2 auth=yes [C] path=/tmp/usbmounts/sda1 hide dot files=yes hide files=/.*/lost+found/ guest ok=yes writable=yes force create mode=0775 force directory mode=0775 [D] path= hide dot files=yes hide files=/.*/lost+found/ guest ok=yes writable=yes force create mode=0775 force directory mode=0775

No such file :(

Reply to
Jethro

this is a good place to look for messages about why access failed..

so you should be using smbpasswd to set passwords when needed

a great way to occaisonally lock the whole box up..IME.

so 'C' is actually some USB mounted device..

no name or password needed for ordinary access then:users who don't supply names or passwords will be able to 'see C:' and as far as Linux is concerned will be the user 'nobody'..

'D' hasn't been set up..

sorry. Old knowlege. /etc/mtab on my debian.

READ THIS if using windows 7: registry patches needed to remove more useless windows secirity.

The Natural Philosopher

Agree the UI is a bit (lot) clunky but it does a good job of playing everthing thrown at it.

Could try \\, don't know where you got your firmware from but it could be set up differently. I'm basing comments on the box described here with stock firmware (may be some helpful pointers there)

> From Ubuntu, I can try to "Connect to server" as "Windows Share" in

Sumvision firmware has an smb.conf in /tmp/smb

/ # cat /tmp/smb/smb.conf [global] security=share log file=/usr/local/samba/var/log.%m max log size=2000 domain logons=Yes dns proxy=No use sendfile=yes guest account=root encrypt passwords=yes passdb backend=smbpasswd socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192 read raw=yes write raw=yes oplocks=yes max xmit=65535 dead time=15 getwd cache=yes lpq cache=30 read prediction=yes client NTLMv2 auth=yes [C] path=/tmp/usbmounts/sdb hide dot files=yes hide files=/.*/lost+found/ guest ok=yes writable=yes force create mode=0775 force directory mode=0775 [HDD] path=/tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1 hide dot files=yes hide files=/.*/lost+found/ guest ok=yes writable=yes force create mode=0775 force directory mode=0775 / #

(with a USB stick plugged in). Windows sees the drives without any credentials needed. Editing the file won't help long term as it is in ramfs and will be reset on reboot. I never found where to break into the normal startup to change things - but then I'm not that au fait with Linux and all these embedded devices seem to be set up in their own way.

This box seems happy enough to boot up with or without its internal HDD though. The firmware you are using may be set up to demand a HDD.

Chris K

Reply to
Chris K

Sadly doesn't exist :(

but there doesn't appear to be such a command #

Yup !

Trying that in the Nautilus dialog doesn't work either :(. Although would I be correct in assuming that by Nautilus getting as far as prompting for a password, that Samba *is* running on the box ?

Is empty on my box :

Reply to
Jethro