TOT Barclay bank, crazy security

They do. Business Banking has a single buuton keyfob thingy that squirts out a 6 digit number when your press the button. Retail Banking has little calculator style thingy but it doesn't need a card.

Barclays have the horrible large calulator style thingy that also requires a card to be of any use.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So woss wrong with that? Or do you think that username/password is adequate?

Reply to
Tim Streater

It's too big and requires a card. The site also asks for:

Surname (public) Membership/Account No./Card No. (public) Last 5 digits of card in reader (public)

8 digit number from the reader having stuffed the card into it and entered your pin. Just too clunky, the only real security is your PIN.

The HSBC keyfob is much better. Username + Password + 6 digits from a single button push on a small device.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Can you call them and do Telephone Banking, if you don't have the thingy handy? Just a thought.

Reply to
Davey

If you haven't yet received a calculator style device for business banking, to replace the key fob thingy, you will soon.

Reply to
Nightjar

Do I conclude you're trying this at a public location? I'd never do that, too much chance of useful data being collected.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Nope, it's just a PITA even at home. Reader thingy lives near the computer, card lives in my wallet, I don't carry my wallet at home. So have go an find it and after wards put card back in wallet. And as I said the other information is all public or not very difficult to obtain.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I doubt it, I dumped HSBC business banking when they wanted to start charging. Now have free business banking with the Cumberland Building Society. I don't use cash or cheques, it's all electronic transfers or credit card.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes I think I could still do that if I remember the numbers.

AJH

Reply to
news

Ah well, had you still been with HSBC, you would have been getting a calculator style device. I generally avoid changing my business bank, because of the problems of getting every customer to update their records. I still have a couple who send payments advices to an address I moved from several years ago, so I have little hope they would get a change of bank right.

Reply to
Nightjar

Yep, there're on my list;!.

Bit far from us southerners;!(...

You must use cash sometimes surely?...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Nightjar

Yep!, It makes me wonder if they cannot manage that, how do they stay in business?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Their free (more or less) business banking is essentially on line only. I can't see why anyone in the UK couldn't have an account with them, they may have something in their rules limiting geographic area I guess. When I was looking for something to replace the free HSBC business account I was very happy to find the Cumberland as no one else appeared to offer such an account.

credit

Only a quid or two for chips 'n curry sauce for lunch. Might get to 7 squid if in Newcastle and one of the Chinese "all you can eat" buffets. If staying away, hotel and restaurant bills go on the CC.

The physical cash comes from ATM's drawing on my personal account but is recorded (if I have receipt) in a business "petty cash" account for tax/VAT etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I don't, for my business. Credit cards leave a clear audit trail.

Reply to
Nightjar

I have nothing to hide.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

More to the point, if you never have cash pass through the business, HMRC know you have nothing to hide.

Reply to
Nightjar

On 2014-07-06, Nightjar >

Not that they care. They don't trust small businesses.

Reply to
Huge

You can use your mobile phone if it will run the hsbc app. Its fairly safe as long as you protect the phone as the app also requires passwords.

Reply to
dennis

But often they don't.

The banks don't appear to.

Questions are often not well chosen.

May not be practical since people often make mistakes.

They're there for authenication purposes (allegedly) and should also prevent family members accessing the site too.

Reply to
Mark

You forget that the "the banks" in this context are actually a tension between gel-haired, strangely bespectacled, marketing types in black polo-necks who want to conduct totally unsecured banking on Facebook and grizzled, grey haired security & fraud types (who think the first lot are mad) who want whatever security is going.

Marketing usually win.

Reply to
Huge