TOT about driving conditions the week

Tim Streater wibbled on Wednesday 06 January 2010 10:42

I vaguely recall that my school was probably only closed for about 1 day ever due to people not being able to get in. It did close a few other days in bad weather, but that was due to the heating breaking down (ah, council maintained boilers....)

These days, it seems to be several days each year. Trouble is half the staff in our local school live miles away and the half that live locally can't open the school, presumably because they can't technically cover all the required functions. It's such a little school that they could run the place with half a dozen staff and merge down to 3 classes if they *really* had to (less than a hundred pupils total, covering ages 5-12).

Reply to
Tim W

In article , Tim W scribeth thus

Same here just the day .. there was snow around 10 odd feet deep but everything worked;))..

If the boiler broke down at our old school the answer was very simple, run on the spot and keep your overcoat on!...

Reply to
tony sayer

You mean they noticed *and reported* there's a whole country outside of the M25 car park?

Next you know they'll be sending Attenborough out to do a couple of documentaries on the natives...

It probably isn't the answer you want to hear and it may sound a bit harsh but the plain truth is that 500+ mile round trip in the almost universally bad weather conditions isn't worth it for a birthday party.

Common sense suggests that you should postpone the trip until conditions improve as it really isn't an 'essential' journey. It might cost you more than 'an arm and a leg' if you try it.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

"Dave Liquorice" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Then there's the subtle detail that Tan Hill have (or had) a Hagglund - in Old Peculier livery...

Then of course you hear as an aside of the "news" story that the owner

You're surely not suggesting it's a publicity stunt! No!

Reply to
Adrian

The Natural Philosopher gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I paid £40 for a second set of OEM alloys, and £50-60 IIRC each for Vredestein SnowTrac2 tyres, last winter.

Yes, they are.

Adrian

The models are bad, they don't know the starting conditions well enough. The best they can do is run lots of slightly different conditions and see if they diverge or not.

Reply to
dennis

Where would we be without the BBC? Apparently snow comes out of the sky, but you're only affected if you're "out and about". Also there's a danger of ice *and* frost. Heaven help us

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I remember my secondary school sending everyone home at dinnertime in December 1986. The heating worked it was just the snow.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Pick the right one and she would be able to train you! ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

And the fact that most of the 4x4 mob think 4WD is a universal panacea. All they do is spin more wheels, getting even less adhesion than in a

2WD...

They've certainly never learned how to drive with 4WD.

Reply to
Bob Eager

ARWadsworth wibbled on Wednesday 06 January 2010 11:46

I do believe the 80's was the start of national gayness. It just got worse since then,

Reply to
Tim W

Mine was an 1841 building with frozen outdoor loos so for around six weeks school was 9-12 then rush home (if you needed to)

Reply to
Tony Bryer

If they have a phone (many do nowadays) the younger sister should be phoning and begging her not to risk her like (and yours, and others) making an unnecessary journey.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

(if you remembered to bring yur PE kit)

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

FX: Waves. I have a set.

Not that I've ever used them.

Reply to
Huge

Too damn right! Actually, they sadly don't abandon their vehicles. They just sit there spinning their wheels and turning the snow into ice.

Reply to
GB

What did you decide to do: attempt the journey or suggest YBH comes home by train?

Reply to
Terry Fields

Find a large, snow covered, *empty* car park. Easier said than done, I know, but that's what I was encouraged to do when I learned to drive.

Great fun!

I was really impressed today that our Postie came out and delivered our post in this weather. The newspaper did not make it, but he did. Nobody else was out.

Reply to
GB