Torch

My trusty main torch has finally succumbed to old age, so I need a new one.

Any recommendations? I assume LED is 'de rigeur' these days? It doesn't have to be compact, but it does need to be bright. Rechargeable is fine, so long as it doesn't mind being left on charge all the time (the last rechargeable I got ate (sealed lead-acid) batteries like you wouldn't believe.)

Reply to
Huge

I got a couple of these as it covered a couple of options for me, only had 6 months so cant comment on reliability.

ss

We have a number of those - very handy. But we also have a big Maglite and an LED lantern. I find them all useful, in different ways.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I used to live near Detroit, where the five-cell Maglite became known as the 'Malice Green', after the one used in his death at the hands of two police officers.

Reply to
Davey

I fear I have not specified the requirement sufficiently well. I have a number of small torches which I'm quite happy with. I was thinking along the lines of something like this;

Huge

Very nice if the charger is of the "float" charge type.

In practice they are a trickle charge variety that quite simply kills sealed lead acid batteries in no time at all.

Avoid, shame really. Unless you're into modifying the charging circuit?

Reply to
Fredxxx

F Murtz

I'd look towards LED and Li-ion

they do another which has USB power socket and flashing red warning LEDs, but it looks less weather-proof.

Reply to
Andy Burns

LED gives way more light and/or way less power use, and they're robust. NiMH have the advantage that they're easily replaced when they die. Which all rechargeables will. For a torch I don't see much upside to liion.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

LEDs are very bright but the beam is unfocussed so less useful than you might think. Try before you buy. Or try someones else's.

Reply to
harry

I'm still using a 4D Maglite from the 90's with a new switch and a TeraLux LED upgrade that can light half a field up.

I am not sure how TerraLux compares to native new LED Maglites and I would caution that some LED torches are s**te with bad switches, poor LEDs and so on.

Maglites are at least heavy, strong and maintainable.

Amazon reviews might be worth a read...

Reply to
Tim Watts

asked a similar question some time ago. I ordered two similar LED torched, they are fine but seem very fragile to me. So I now have a lovely solid maglites with four D batteries. Ideal if I get a burglar, both to see him and restrain him/her. ;-))

Reply to
Broadback

So BFO lamp not a "torch". B-)

If you leave it on charge... SLA's don't self discharge very quickly so the requirement to be permenantly on charge isn't that high. I have an elcheapo "2 million candle power" BFO lamp, uses a 6 V SLA and it just sits, off charge, for months, it hasn't let me down yet. After brief use (couple of mins) I'll run it down a bit more then charge for 24 hours. It's total runtime is about 20 mins. Enough to check if that rattling noise from the roof is something to be worried about or not (F9, >48 mph sustained, gusting >60 mph ATM).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

+1 to both posts.

I have an LED converted 4D Maglite for general use and a 2AA LED converted mini Maglite (with an end on-off switch conversion) for smaller jobs (looking inside PC's and the like).

When working hands-free / camping our (quite old now) 3 LED, 3AAA Petzl Zipka 2 head torches (with recoiling 'strap') are brilliant. Unlike any of the conventionally strapped versions, the retractable strap on these never get tangled, adjusts automatically to any head size and can just as easily be fitted round smaller diameters like arms or posts etc.

I might also get one of the new ones: (because they are so good)

and see how it compares (I note it has a single LED now).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I have 1 thought I'd like to add:

I like the TeraLux upgrade module as it *can* light half a field, but doesn't have to. 3 level settings and the lowest will last a very long time on 1 set of batteries but is fine for seeing your way on a dark pavement and the mid setting is good for average torch duties.

Beware some LED torches have some really stupid flashing modes "because they can" I suspect - a real annoyance.

Reply to
Tim Watts

snip

I've got the Petzl Tikka head torch - about 5 years now, marvellous.

If this one broke, I might be tempted by the 'constant light' new Tikka versions

Reply to
RJH

Yep, that was my experience last time. And replacement batteries cost more than another torch.

Yep. BTDT.

Reply to
Huge

It looks like the same lamp unit as the current Zipka (single LED?) so it's good to hear that you approve of it's lighting abilities. ;-)

The only thing against the Tikka over the recoiling Zipka is you don't have the advantage of something that is automatically adjustable between head sizes (we constantly shared two between the three of us when camping) and the extra 'bulk' of the headband in your pocket. That strap looks like the sort of thing that is likely to pull your keys or other valuable stuff out of your pocket as you go for it? Also, the recoiling strap models also slip *into* a pocket (like an egg) whereas I feel you might have to 'stuff' the strapped versions in there?

I guess it all depends how you see / treat such a torch. Because of it's design as a 'head torch' and therefore to be used when a simple hand held torch wouldn't be ideal, I feel it should be as convenient as possible and not bring other issues with it's use.

I guess that means they have some sort of voltage regulation so wouldn't that make them less efficient? I think the idea behind the 'std' types is that are 'simple' = less losses and the fact that the led slowly dims as the battery runs out (I'm guessing the rate of that dimming is a function of the battery technology) so you are given a bit of warning? It's similar with the rechargeable stuff that flashes an LED when the battery is already going flat! ;-)

Just thinking out loud ... I'm not sure I would want to be locked into a rechargeable 'emergency light' because of all the issues re keeping rechargeable stuff charged between uses (other than those on charge

24/7 of course ) and what to do when they go flat in the field. At least with conventional replaceable cells you often have access to (recharge or buy) spare cells anywhere.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I have a £1.99 single 1450 cell (AA sized LiIon) torch as powerful as that.

The battery probably lasts about as long too, ~20 minutes.

You could try one of these

dennis

Yes, I can see the advantage. But I'm the only one that uses it, and it's actually quite handy to hang up - I keep it on a coat peg.

Good points - I just liked the idea!

Ah, I hadn't seen the rechargeable bit. I use rechargeable AAAs. I'd guess I get about 90 minutes a throw. On balance, that's my preference, and I do wonder how well a rechargeable would have managed after this time.

Reply to
RJH