Torbeck valve oddness

Hi all,

My toilet cistern has a (bottom entry) Torbeck valve to manage the filling. In the last few days this has stopped working properly; it might start filling correctly for a while but then locks "closed" internally somehow; after which the only water flow is that forced out as a spray through where the lever attaches; none exits the usual way.

I've taken it apart, removed grit and scale and it all seems fine. Have bought a new one hoping to swap the internals but the rubber valve part is way more flexible and is perhaps rated for a different pressure (has a different number on it). If installed, it lets water through but fails to close.

Before I try a replacement, is the way the original one is failing/ misbehaving indicative of anything that could be corrected?

Thanks in advance, Paul

Reply to
news14k

Thought you had:

"I've taken it apart, removed grit and scale and it all seems fine."

Equlibrium valves are sensitive to muck, internally cleaning will nearly always sort 'em out.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Just for completeness, it turned out on closer inspection that the existing rubber valve had a small tear that (presumably) managed to stay closed (sometimes for a while) but eventually was pushed open so that the valve closed but with the tear allowing water to force itself out via where the lever attaches. Have replaced the whole thing as the old one was incompatible with new valve, pressure reducers, etc.

#Paul

Reply to
news14k