Top vs Bottom posting

I think mingle posting like I normally use is about as good as it gets in the readability stakes.

Sadly you didn't leave anything below that last comment of yours for me to mingle post this time, so you'll just have to use your imagination as to how it might have looked! ;O)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

OTOH, do as everyone else does, and do whatever suits your purpose and the style.

I personally will snip, not snip, top post, bottom post, respond line ny line, or as a summary, depending on the context and what if anything I am trying to achieve.

And since I was on Usenet long before we even had Internet, and helped to build said internet to carry it, I personally think that all these moribund petty tyrants and net nannies can stuff some rapid set concrete up their rectal passages.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm definitely with the bottom-posters for all the reasons stated by others; my only *slight* leaning towards the top posters is the fact that I usually end up reading usenet on Google (because my ISP's newsfeed is so crap), which only displays the first 'X' lines of any long posts and forces you to click another link to display the full message. A right PITA.

But again, as others have said, if people trimmed their reply posts properly and quoted only the necessary preceding context, in 90% of cases such messages wouldn't be too long for Google...

David

Reply to
David

What

What is

What is so

What is so good

What is so good about

What is so good about bottom-

What is so good about bottom- posting?

Edwin.

Reply to
Edwin Spector

That and the other classic:

A: Top posters Q: What's the most annoying thing on usenet?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Jeffries

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Perfect. Absolutely perfect - and a system I also use. It rarely lets me down.

Reply to
Graeme

That's more like not speaking to some-one who asks for help because they don't wear the "right" sort of clothes. Or racsim. Chill out....

Suz

Reply to
Suz

Quite right. On usenet, anything that doesn't get your account suspended, goes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It depends how much beer I just spilled on the keyboard

Reply to
geoff

In message , Suz writes

Top posting is OK between consenting adults in the privacy of their own homes.

Of course, if you say something, she replies, you reply etc, you already know what's gone before

Reply to
geoff

Not if you were the one that was left out while the others bitch about you and then some tube goes and sends it 2 you later... Life flashes before your eyes when you realise you've done that. I haven't, but my pal did TWICE. Not that any of the guys on uk.d-i-y would ever moan about anyone else....

Reply to
Suz

I am going to resist asking how you know this! ;O)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

Thanks to all. I've had lots of help from people in this newsgroup so if the majority dislike top-posting I'm happy to change my natural tendency. There are too many overlapping threads to comment/reply to each one so here's an attempt at a summary.

To my mind the best response is from The Natural Philosopher:

concrete

Reply to
Dave

Whilst I was sure I had read the charter for uk.d-i-y a year or so ago, I can no longer find it.

They are normally all pretty similar and say you mustn't top post, use a signature more than 4 lines, quote the entire previous post, cross post to more than 6 groups or post advertising unless of a very specific nature designed to appeal specifically to the group or thread in question.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

No, because as various people have demonstrated the flow will not be logical. And it will also make it very difficult to interleave and if nobody did that telling what was being replied to would be difficult leading to all sorts of misunderstandings. I trust you have been around usenet long enough to know what misunderstandings can lead to?

Because in some newsreaders (OE in particular I'm told) the cursor is placed at the top by default. So to bottom post or snip and interleave requires more work than to simply start typing. In that context it is lazy. If I am trying to talk to someone and they can't be bothered to turn around and not mumble I might not bother any more. Similarly with top posters.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Laziness is not bothering to snip the post, leaving only the relevant bit, and posting a reply to that one bit.

See my second reply to this post.

Reply to
Grunff

Reply to
Grunff

No charter as such:

But the faq says to follow netiquette, and explicitly requests posters to snip:

Reply to
Grunff

One more like that and you're going to be only the second person ever to enter my kill file! ;O)

I wouldn't if I were you, unless you like the idea of sharing with "IMM" as a killfilemate for the rest of all time!

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

Hmm, you still have him in there eh?

I might have to start a "support your local troll" campaign.

Reply to
Grunff