Top of tiles

It discolours over time whether I would like it to or not. It looks horrible from day one.

Reply to
Andy Hall

.. and the location.

Reply to
Andy Hall

A little IMHO wouldn't go amiss, although I guess you might have trouble with the "H" part.

Reply to
stuart noble

You weren't clear - I took it to mean the first point.

This one is a trade off. Choice of tiles makes a difference. If they have a 'biscuit' underneath that's in marked contrast to the tile or grout then there is a problem - it's hard to hide it. There are other techniques such as colourants that will work in some cases. Adding tacky plastic strips just draws attention to the edge because it adds a visually obvious component that doesn't need to be there.

This is one of the reasons that I've tended to using stone tiles on recent projects. It's possible to do things with them mechanically such as softening or beveling the edges for example.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I see it has excellent reviews Andy, do you use yours a lot? Are they worth the £180 price tag. I like the idea of removing grout with one. I know i shouldnt like power tools but i do ;)

Reply to
Samantha Booth

This really isn't a matter of opinion - so 'H' doesn't enter into it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes, I do. This is one of two power tools that I use the most. The main points are being able to cut carefully without damage yet acceptably quickly in most cases. The detail sander options are excellent.

I think so. Axminster Power Tools has the Multimaster Top at £175. There is also the Select at £150 and Start at £110. The tool is the same, the difference is in the accessories and bits that come with it. I bought the Top because I wanted all the bits that came with it and because I got a good deal at a trade show, but if only some are needed, one of the others may be OK.

It does do that job very well indeed.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It isn't visually obvious if you choose the right colour and, in the vast majority of cases, it (or something) does need to be there. Your reasoning effectively rules out the use of ceramic tiles altogether because there would be no way to finish an outside corner.

Reply to
stuart noble

So you really are off your head.

Reply to
stuart noble

One advantage of plastic stuff on external corners is that it's more resilient to physical knocks which would likely shatter or ding ceramic edging.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Can you honestly tell me that plastic strip, used with quality ceramic or porcelain tiles is a thing of beauty?

I would concede that it isn't going to make the white tiles used in corporation toilets look any worse than they do already, but usually the spec. there doesn't have aesthetics.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Can you honestly tell me that plastic strip, used with quality ceramic or porcelain tiles is a thing of beauty?

I would concede that it isn't going to make the white tiles used in corporation toilets look any worse than they do already, but usually the spec. there doesn't have aesthetics.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You're asking me my opinion now? Progress of some sort then.

There's a corporation toilet on the north side of Trafalgar Square. Funnily enough I didn't notice the decor.

Reply to
stuart noble

So answer the question.

But do you notice the decor at home?

Reply to
Andy Hall

In my opinion matching tile trim is unobtrusive. Properly done, I have to look closely to know that it has been used and, as there is no viable alternative, my opinion (or yours) is kind of academic anyway.

Reply to
stuart noble

Therein lies the problem. Unless one is using corporation toilet white, getting a match is virtually impossible. Getting a near match looks awful so contrasts become the practical solution and silver or even worse gold, get used. Then the result looks like a cheap hotel bathroom.

There are always alternatives. Some of them have been mentioned.

Reply to
Andy Hall